To shim, or not to shim

Brendon_t

That is the question.

my long 50" straightedge finally got here from lee valley and I went straight to the new to me jointer to employ the setup method Marc outlined in the long jointer setup video. 

1) both beds are dead nuts flat ( read as can't get a .001 feeler gauge in anywhere)

when measuring the 4 corners of the In feed side, I got.

.005.            .000

.012.            .015

now this is an older jointer and I don't think I have the eccentric cam things that Marc does for adjustment so.. I think that means I need to shim the beds. This is my first big boy jointer so yeah, I just don't know. 

Take a gander at the pics and see if you notice some obscure adjustment mech I just don't know of. These are front and back.

if it does indeed need shimmed, any good resources out there before I hit youtube?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Brendon_t

Thanks FP, I'm heading there now. 

I'm having a weird internal debate, the pieces I am face jointing are coming off totally flat.. To mess with it, or not to, that is the next question.

Face jointing is generally more forgiving. Edge joint 2 long boards and see how they mate up. 

You rarely move the outfeed table, so shim where there is less chance of screwing it up later.  The outfeed table on my 8" jointer hasn't moved since 1975 when I bought it at a school auction and tuned it.  They had taken the locking handle off of it, and I never bothered to replace.

Edited by Tom King

Face jointing is generally more forgiving. Edge joint 2 long boards and see how they mate up. 

well the truth i in the tape. I'm getting a noticeable "belly" on a 6' edge. 2 6' edges just jointed and clamped on one end are tight about 2feet . end gap on the other side about 1/8". Me no likey.

I ran into the same predicament after moving from NC to NM last winter. The jointer (Jet JJ-6) arrived out of whack. Almost ruined $500 worth of maple for a new bench before I realized it. I dreaded tearing into it, but steeled myself with some coffee one Sunday morning and went after it.  Loosened the gibs on the infeed and took a reading. Dead nuts. Slowly and carefully tightened it all back up, setting the locking nuts as soon as I met any resistance, and it's been fine since. Hopefully yours will be as easy!

Moral for me was to proceed very slowly and meticulously - small adjustments can make a big difference.

You rarely move the outfeed table, so shim where there is less chance of screwing it up later.  The outfeed table on my 8" jointer hasn't moved since 1975 when I bought it at a school auction and tuned it.  They had taken the locking handle off of it, and I never bothered to replace.

so by this logic, I'm essentially tweaking the outfeed table in order to align it co-planar with the infeed side table? 

There has got to be a better way to figure out this bed shimming issue.

i have spent the last 4 hours shimming and un shimming and measuring and un shimming and measuring and shimming.. I'm chasing my tail and extremely frustrated.. 

I ended the day loosing all the bolts and tearing all the shims just to have way different measurements than initially measured.

this totally sucks

There has got to be a better way to figure out this bed shimming issue.

i have spent the last 4 hours shimming and un shimming and measuring and un shimming and measuring and shimming.. I'm chasing my tail and extremely frustrated.. 

I ended the day loosing all the bolts and tearing all the shims just to have way different measurements than initially measured.

this totally sucks

http://www.amazon.com/Care-Repair-Shop-Machines-Troubleshooting/dp/156158424X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438602065&sr=8-1&keywords=Care+repair+shop+machines

This process sounds like my own personal hell. Best of luck to you, I would have drank myself into an irish stupor by now and started using a hammer on things.

I've thought about it.  

I feel this is just paying my dues. I bought this jointer for a STEAL. It was set up decently,  but i just had to go and screw around with it.  I'm now paying the balance in frustration. 

I've thought about it.  

I feel this is just paying my dues. I bought this jointer for a STEAL. It was set up decently,  but i just had to go and screw around with it.  I'm now paying the balance in frustration. 

Sounds from your earlier post that you're getting a convex cut.  If that's the case, it may be caused by either your infeed or outfeed table or both being high on the end(s). I would remove the knives and just work on getting the tables coplaner, then insert the knives and set them to the outfeed table. That way, you're only working on one thing at a time.

I think when I shimmed mine that I bought a couple of sets of feeler gauges and used leaves out of them. I haven't bought any in a long time, but I'm sure they were a lot cheaper back then.  I think I used one at a guess, measured the effect, and added some different ones accordingly.

Sounds from your earlier post that you're getting a convex cut.  If that's the case, it may be caused by either your infeed or outfeed table or both being high on the end(s). I would remove the knives and just work on getting the tables coplaner, then insert the knives and set them to the outfeed table. That way, you're only working on one thing at a time.

micks I have not been regarding the knives really at all at this point.  I'm doing exactly that,  just working on the beds,  I'll set the knives back after I lock the beds down 

So to conclude here, I figure I should give the rundown for future search function users.

when simply shimming didn't work, I tore the beds completely off.  Good thing I did because I found two issues. 1) there was an ungodly amount of caked on crap in both the bed runners and the channels. 2) the jib screw that held the blade side of the outfeed bed had been severely over tightened at some point causing it to tear the threads out of the cast iron.

cleaning the channels was easy with some break cleaner and a wire brush. After wiping back all the crud, I applied a very thin coat of white lithium grease to the contact areas to smooth the bed movement. Tapping the threads was another issue. I couldn't get at the original hole with my tap so I moved about  an inch down, drilled the pilot and threaded to size. After reassembling everything,  the beds moved much smoother but were still outside of my personal tolerance.  Out came a $4.39 feeler gauge set from harbor freight. Measuring and inserting shims became MUCH easier and more reliable when I could choose the thickness and location of the shim. It only took two 4 corner measurement and shim rounds, ending with (2) .010 shims on the blade side of the outfeed, and a .006 on the far end of the infeed bed. I tried to not shim the infeed but there just wasn't any way around it. 

Ending measurements are noted below. Before setting the table heights for good.

.007.               .004

.010.               .007

i believe this to be absolutely within tolerance of a hobby woodworker. After resetting the knives for the eight hundred and forty even thousandth time this month, two 6' long  8/4 cherry boards told the tale.  Laying the freshly jointed edges against each other, I could only see light at the last 1/2" or so. Snipe be damned.

this was a frustrating but I'd say solid learning experience.

• Like 2

My old Delta jointer is in sad need of some tlc, but after your journey I'm not sure I want to get into it! The cutter head is out of balance at the least, and I'm afraid to put a straight edge on it. 

i would say, if it's cutting flat and accurately giving you 2 flat faces at 90* to each other.. Let it ride, if you've been ignoring questionable performance from it, might be time for an adjustment.

the only reason I really tore into this task was because the jointer was new to me. Now that I've got an efficient baseline, I have something to compare future performance to.

So to conclude here, I figure I should give the rundown for future search function users.

when simply shimming didn't work, I tore the beds completely off.  Good thing I did because I found two issues. 1) there was an ungodly amount of caked on crap in both the bed runners and the channels. 2) the jib screw that held the blade side of the outfeed bed had been severely over tightened at some point causing it to tear the threads out of the cast iron.

cleaning the channels was easy with some break cleaner and a wire brush. After wiping back all the crud, I applied a very thin coat of white lithium grease to the contact areas to smooth the bed movement. Tapping the threads was another issue. I couldn't get at the original hole with my tap so I moved about  an inch down, drilled the pilot and threaded to size. After reassembling everything,  the beds moved much smoother but were still outside of my personal tolerance.  Out came a $4.39 feeler gauge set from harbor freight. Measuring and inserting shims became MUCH easier and more reliable when I could choose the thickness and location of the shim. It only took two 4 corner measurement and shim rounds, ending with (2) .010 shims on the blade side of the outfeed, and a .006 on the far end of the infeed bed. I tried to not shim the infeed but there just wasn't any way around it. 

Ending measurements are noted below. Before setting the table heights for good.

.007.               .004

.010.               .007

i believe this to be absolutely within tolerance of a hobby woodworker. After resetting the knives for the eight hundred and forty even thousandth time this month, two 6' long  8/4 cherry boards told the tale.  Laying the freshly jointed edges against each other, I could only see light at the last 1/2" or so. Snipe be damned.

this was a frustrating but I'd say solid learning experience.

Sometimes it pays to just dive in. Glad it worked for you!