hot shop

ncfowler

Last week was a no shop one for me, I was on call all week and had several call outs that made it hard to find time in the shop, When I did get time to get in the shop even with the exhaust fans open and vents open it was well over a 100 deg, Yesterday when I had time to get to my lighthouses I found most of my joints gaping, not much but enough that when I paint it will show, I have a ac system there as well but only run it when I'm in the shop, will cost too much to run all the time,  The gaps are not a problem, I have a resolve for them, just it is only making more unwanted work, I guess I need to put a humidifier in the shop for these hot days, but then how would it be on my tools? 

Last week was a no shop one for me, I was on call all week and had several call outs that made it hard to find time in the shop, When I did get time to get in the shop even with the exhaust fans open and vents open it was well over a 100 deg, Yesterday when I had time to get to my lighthouses I found most of my joints gaping, not much but enough that when I paint it will show, I have a ac system there as well but only run it when I'm in the shop, will cost too much to run all the time,  The gaps are not a problem, I have a resolve for them, just it is only making more unwanted work, I guess I need to put a humidifier in the shop for these hot days, but then how would it be on my tools? 

Normally in the summer with high humidity you need to get the humidity out. So you would need a dehumidifier not a humidifier. Introducing more humidity to your shop would be a bad idea on your tools and your work. I dont really understand the issue you are having. How can gaps be appearing with high humidity? Normally that happens in winter during heating season.

When I miter the joints they were tight, only thing I can figure out with the high heat it made the wood shrink, or edges cruel up, what I don't get is I had glue oozing out of the joints when I glued it up, this is the first time it happen, I took a few out of the shop and let them cool down in the yard in shade to see if they will close back up. it may be just a wood thing,

When I miter the joints they were tight, only thing I can figure out with the high heat it made the wood shrink, or edges cruel up, what I don't get is I had glue oozing out of the joints when I glued it up, this is the first time it happen, I took a few out of the shop and let them cool down in the yard in shade to see if they will close back up. it may be just a wood thing,

Was the wood dry when you mitered it? Do you have any pictures? I cant see humidity opening a miter. It would make a miter tighter. The wood would expand across the grain which would make the long point and short point of the miter get closer and the opposite during heating season. Possibly the wood wasnt fully dry when you mitered and it dryed out a bit?

I'm willing to bet he mitered a frame around a solid wood panel.  Humidity, wood expands, miters blow out.  Since the beginning of time.

That's an assumption.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

A mitered frame around glass or other dimensionally stable material shouldn't get gappy if they weren't gappy to begin with and they were built well.

I'm willing to bet he mitered a frame around a solid wood panel.  Humidity, wood expands, miters blow out.  Since the beginning of time.

That's an assumption.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

A mitered frame around glass or other dimensionally stable material shouldn't get gappy if they weren't gappy to begin with and they were built well.

Makes sense. I can see that happening if he mitered around an unstable material.

I guess I may have manage to misguide you, the panels are of solid wood, cut the length of the grain, on an taper using a taper sled, with a 30 deg angle, each panel is edge glued and brad in place thus forming a six sided taper and 24" in length look at my avatar, was the wood dry, my moisture meter showed 10% on build, now showing less than 5% , I had the wood in the shop for a two weeks before the build,