Sculpted Rocker

..Kev

So, finally home and get a chance to get going on this project.

This project will not be going at my normal pace as I get to work on it with my dad.  Ultimately, the chair is intended for use with his great grandbaby so, should be a pretty cool experience.  Baby isn't expected yet (and I hope they wait a good long while) but, we're going to get a good jump on the game.

I showed all the templates and stuff in the guild section so, no need to show it again here.  We'll just start with the rough lumber that was ordered from Bell Forest.

Here we go!

• Like 2

Really looking forward to this build. Like many folks on the forum, it's on my shallow bucket list. Honey do list for the new house has to be whittled down first - Chest of drawers, bookcase(s), kitchen cabs, pantry, closet built-ins... Did I say shallow?

Looking forward to following this.  That is a nice stack of lumber, hopefully you took advantage of the free shipping!  

Unfortunately, no.  I actually bought the lumber a couple months ago and it's just been sitting like that in my shop.

Roughed out the parts.  There were a couple of boards that were cupped to the point they may not be useable.  Fortunately, I have a bunch of 8/4 on hand and access to much more.  Color match could be the only difficult part.

Roughed out the parts.  There were a couple of boards that were cupped to the point they may not be useable.  Fortunately, I have a bunch of 8/4 on hand and access to much more.  Color match could be the only difficult part.

BpjHQG.jpg

Looking good Kev! Youre shop looks pretty amazing. Have you ever posted pics of the shop or a shop tour video? I love seeing into other peoples shops. Also, is that a trion or carvex you are using? Do you like it?
  • Like 1

It's the Trion..  It's ok..  Could certainly do the same thing with a cheaper jig saw.

I think I have a shop tour in the shop section of the forums..  There's been a few additions since the last tour.  Maybe I'll update it once these projects are finished up.

It's the Trion..  It's ok..  Could certainly do the same thing with a cheaper jig saw.

I think I have a shop tour in the shop section of the forums..  There's been a few additions since the last tour.  Maybe I'll update it once these projects are finished up.

Awesome i will look for it!

Did you blade tilt to do the coopering or use the jointer?  I'm planning to try my coopering skills on a little bench before I do a rocker seat

I tilted the TS blade and then ran it across the jointer

Really not too difficult.

Edited by TIODS

Kev, I see no burn marks from the ts what so ever. However, there may be some from ripping that are not shown. Do you attribute that to your blade, saw, or both? What blade do you use?

Ive seen burn marks come off saws with really good blades. I think the fence to blade alignment and feed rate play a bigger role than the blade itself.