Simple Desk

..Kev

My youngest hit me up for a new desk.  He's a good kid who's doing well in school so, he gets the desk. This build will be going on at the same time as the rocker and a couple other projects so, will update as work is going..

Simple design.  Maple top with walnut base.  8/4 Maple with live edge that I'll incorporate into the design

A01tra.jpg

Needed a straight edge to work with.  Long rail and track saw did the trick.

83LgNZ.jpg

Slab had a bit of a cup to it..  Drum sander to the rescue.. 

lkYU53.jpg

All nice and flat

prXmk7.jpg

This is my youngest son, he did the dominos to add a little width to the desk top.

AtcadR.jpg

All glued up..  Done for the day.

FlVs7B.jpg

Edited by TIODS
  • Like 1

So cool to be able to work with your kids!

For sure!  Couple kind of interesting projects going on for me right now..  One with my son and one with my dad..  Life's pretty good!

Looks good! Nice chunk of wood!! 

Thanks, I hear that a lot ;)  

My HW dealer had some really nice slabs.  They treat me really well too so, again, life is good!

• Like 1

For sure!  Couple kind of interesting projects going on for me right now..  One with my son and one with my dad..  Life's pretty good!

Thanks, I hear that a lot ;)  

My HW dealer had some really nice slabs.  They treat me really well too so, again, life is good!

None of my kids were into woodworking at all, but the desks I made for them as little kids are still being used by their kids.So I get a kick out of watching the grandkids play on them!

• Like 2

Doesn't the top need to be finished separate and attached to allow for movement ? Then you just need to make sure the base will fit. I stand desks and love seats on end on a packing blanket and drag them down the hall and around corners. Makes is so much easier.

• Like 1

Doesn't the top need to be finished separate and attached to allow for movement ? Then you just need to make sure the base will fit. I stand desks and love seats on end on a packing blanket and drag them down the hall and around corners. Makes is so much easier.

That is an option..  I would prefer to put it all together in the shop and then move it in.  The top will be held on with either shop made clips or figure 8s, I haven't decided yet.

Simple Design? You're builds are anything but simple, even though you make them look easy!

Again, walnut and live edge is a good marriage.

Looking forward to watching this one!

Thanks Coop!  Nothing overly difficult or fancy about this one..

Looking good! Love the epoxy on the edge! 

Thanks Mel..  I really like using the epoxy on the live edges.  Just adds pop to the piece.

• Like 1