Successful saw sharpening

Randy Thurman-Keup

Returning from my parents a few weeks ago, I grabbed a rusty old saw that was tucked away in a corner, figuring I could use it to practice sharpening.  I suspected that it probably belonged to my grandfather who was a carpenter.  When I got it home and took a closer look, it turned out to be a turn of the century Disston.  The etching on the blade was hard to make out, so I can't say for certain, but the other features seem to be consistent with a D-8.  The funny thing is that the reason I wanted to practice sharpening on a crappy saw was that my other grandfather had given me a Disston D-8 of similar age that had been given to him by his grandfather and I didn't want to ruin it with inexperience.  Anyway, I normally wouldn't have posted this, but I was so surprised by how well the sharpening process turned out on the "practice saw", that I just had to share my success.  Below are photos of the various stages.

This photo is after I removed the handle and tried to clean up the etching.  The handle, as you'll see later, was partially cut off.

IMG_5590.thumb.jpg.eec08b6ada120eef8c9b6

The next two pics show how ratty the teeth were.  You can see the tops that were in the process of being jointed.

IMG_5596.thumb.jpg.431a86a8d13e81c86bfd3

Here is a side view where you can really see the unevenness of the teeth.  The angles look symmetric, like whoever sharpened them just set the file flat and went at it.

IMG_5600.thumb.jpg.815c639c1048640778976

This is after the first tooth forming.  They were still uneven enough that I had to joint the saw again and make another pass at forming them.

IMG_5601.thumb.jpg.7994c5f4199824f9fd8ea

Finally, these images are after filing the fleam and setting the teeth.

IMG_5612.thumb.jpg.362884ae7ca1ac4a2b17d

Below you can still see unfiled sections on some of the teeth,  but I think they look pretty good considering how they started out.

IMG_5615.thumb.jpg.3526a4bbe5f3cbf94d8c6

And here is the saw with the partially missing handle on it.

IMG_5616.thumb.jpg.5c5add8fe0468659f30c8

I think I'm going to try to make a new handle for it, but I'm still figuring out how best to do that.

Oh, and now that I've had some practice, I can try the other Disston.  Especially since it is in far better shape than this one was.

I have a couple of old Disstons also but don't know the first thing about trying to sharpen one. Did you learn from a video?

My dad was a saw filer in a lumber mill and I helped him on occasion to sharpen the big head rig saws. Mammoth blades like 15 or 20 feet diameter. They would cut a 4' dia log faster than you could walk! 

Never had the chance to work on little stuff but you are giving me hope that I could learn!

Looks good. You need to make a new handle for it or repair the old one with some new wood. After all this is a practice saw so it be a shame not to practice making a handle. Bad Axe's or Blackburn tools' blog has some great info and links, just be careful about the rabbit hole.

I have a couple of old Disstons also but don't know the first thing about trying to sharpen one. Did you learn from a video?

My dad was a saw filer in a lumber mill and I helped him on occasion to sharpen the big head rig saws. Mammoth blades like 15 or 20 feet diameter. They would cut a 4' dia log faster than you could walk! 

Never had the chance to work on little stuff but you are giving me hope that I could learn!

I don't think I watched any videos, but I did a fair amount of online reading.  Eventually I printed out a document from the vintage saws website.

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

That led me through most of the sharpening process.  This was actually the second saw I tried sharpening.  The first was a smaller backsaw, like 12 or 13 ppi.  I filed that one freehand and that was a mistake.  The advice of embedding the file in a block of wood to keep the angle constant was a big help.  Even for the fleam I used a block of wood to set the fleam angle as well.

Looks good. You need to make a new handle for it or repair the old one with some new wood. After all this is a practice saw so it be a shame not to practice making a handle. Bad Axe's or Blackburn tools' blog has some great info and links, just be careful about the rabbit hole.

Thanks, I will definitely make a new handle for it.  Still wading through the blogs and websites.  As for the rabbit hole, I think it's going to take some effort to keep from slipping further.  

• Like 1