Added Some Power

jmaichel

I have been buying a lot of hand tools lately but decided that I needed to add a planer to help with milling, because milling stock by hand SUCKS!!! I decided to go with the Dewalt 735 to see what all the fuss is about. I almost settled on the 734 because I could get it locally but with Amazon I only had to pay an extra $30 to have it shipped over the weekend. I will say my wife was not very happy to see the planer show up on our front doorstep and I quickly had to switch subjects. When the LV and LN boxes showed up she did not say much besides "these came for you today." and I was off the hook. I am probably pushed it a little bit by ordering the planer, especially because she knows my neighbor has one that I could use. He has the 734 and runs all sorts of pallet wood and scrap wood through it. He even said they he has a couple nicks in his knives and that is does leave some marks in his wood. I did not want to be a snob but after he told me that, there was no way I was going to let my precious African Mahogany touch those planer knives! The only logical thing to do was to buy my own planer. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I did at one point own an older Delta Lunchbox planer (along with all my other machines) but sold it before moving to HI. I bought the thing used and I could not get the cutterhead stay set to save my life. It was a PITA, it worked but it was POS with no dust collection. Just thought I would share, I am probably not going to be able to buy any new tools for sometime now but I am pretty well set. 

Planer.jpg

Pity you couldn't bring the contents of the old shop with you to Hawaii James. I've heard lots of good reports about the DW735.

I am really not that upset about it. I have added a few new hand tools to make up for the lack of power tools. I live in a 4-plex, so even if I did bring all the power tools they would not see a ton of use because most of my shop time is between 9 -12 at night.