Summer and tight table saw sled runners

estesbubba

In the past I haven't done any woodworking in the summer and this year hasn't been any different until last weekend. I went to crosscut a test board on my table saw using my sled and the runners are too tight to slide. My shop is well insulated which keeps the temps under 80 without AC but that doesn't do crap for humidity and my QS hard maple runners are tight. I have 2 crosscut sleds and a miter sled which all are dead nuts on. I could buy those adjustable metal bars, but since those need attached from the bottom, my sleds will probably be off after doing that. What about buying a poly cutting board and using it for runners? I can use screws from the top using the existing holes and hopefully not lose my alignment. Any other ideas?

I found that as humidity spikes, I get binding in only a few places using the sharpie runoff test. Super light passes with a scraper, barely taking off anything on the OUTSIDE ( away from the blade side) gave me the space I need. 

When using a sled, I apply slight hand pressure toward the blade, like one would when running against the fence. Only taking material off of the outside keeps the registration surface on the side I'm pushing toward the same through seasons. 

May want to give a slight modification before tearing the runners off. I've never been able to get new runners on a sled to be as tight a fit as the off coming set.

• Like 1

I bought a poly cutting board over lunch and here is my plan. Cut it a hair under 3/4" and shim it in the miter slot. Remove one of the hardwood runners, place sled with single runner in slot, drill into poly runner and screw back on. Repeat for the other side. 

Now I'm just hoping I didn't cover any of the runner screws with the fences...or at least not with the rear fence.

Use 1/4" Baltic Birch for future runners, oriented so the middle plies show end grain.

The end grain inside is ultra durable, it holds wax nicely, and the plies are perfectly stable.  It's also free the first time you make cabinet drawers...

I live in Connecticut, where it's triple digits temps and humid mid summer, and below zero and bone dry in winter.  My runners are perfect year 'round, and my most used sled is over five years old.

Edited by CessnaPilotBarry
  • Like 1

I bought some from mcmaster.com. Here is the url - http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene-sheets/=x1xpbq

Big issue with it is screwing into the material caused it to bulge out so you had to hand plane them down.

Currently I'm using those, aluminum ones and ones made from cedar. The cedar ones were made in peak humidity so come winter I'll find out how bad that was.

Well the cutting board runners looked good on paper but my idea didn't work out after a couple attempts. So plan B was to get a dehumidifier and see if that would lower the humidity. I got it yesterday and after 12 hours of running it dropped from 78% to 37% and the table saw maple runners are happy again!