Hey guys! Jared from northern Virginia here! :)

jcorb

So, I'm 27 years-old and have kind of been in the process of turning my life around. Among many other changes, one of the big ones for me has been setting aside video-games and technology (beyond what I need for work), and I've actually found myself interested in stuff I wouldn't have even thought I would be -- namely, woodworking.

When I was a kid, my grandfather really tried to get me into woodworking, as it was something he absolutely loved, but I just didn't spend enough time around him for it to really sink in. I don't know how much of it has really stuck with me over the years, but I'll wager not much. As such, I'm approaching everyone very much as a "beginner". I actually signed up for a woodworking class this weekend, but I suppose I'm still figuring out where to really start.

I really like the idea of being able to build nice, sturdy, high-quality chairs and tables. I also love the idea of getting into wood-burning, or even sculpting shapes and designs into the wood. I'm not sure why, I just feel like that would be something really cool to get into, eventually, once I get the basics down. I could also see getting into cabinets, although I think that would be dependent more on whether or not I'm any good.

Honestly, I'm just approaching it as a hobby right now, although if I enjoy it, and I'm not absolutely terrible, I might consider pursuing it more heavily as a career. I don't want to get ahead of myself, though, and if all it ever is to me is a hobby, that would still be awesome, I think!

Anyways... I'm in Northern Virginia (Occoquan), and having just moved in with my friend and his wife, I don't have access to any tools right now, so I'll probably wind up having to shop around for some of the basics. Any advice for someone just starting out?

Welcome to the Forum ! 

Its amazing what you can do in a small space with hand tools.

But as you progress machinery is so much easier especially planing and jointing stock flat & square. I would get the best table saw you can possibly afford first. It's much harder to get good results on a budget saw when you are learning.

Huh, how expensive to just get started, starting small? I suppose I've never really thought that much about that part before; my grandpa was always broke, but had a lot of tools in his shed, never stopped to consider how much money he spent on all that stuff.

Ah, that's good news! It may be a little while before I start investing in my own tools, then (although, fingers-crossed, if I get this job I'm interviewing for next week, I would be able to jump right into things). I'm keeping an eye out for any furniture shops that might consider some kind of apprenticeship or something, but the lack of quality, hand-made stuff is kind of what spurred my thinking that "Hey, maybe this can become more than just a hobby, if I really get into it again".

What would you say are kind of "the essentials", for tools?

"the essentials" is a loaded question as that depends on your approach.  If it's all hand tools, that's one way, a power tool guy is another.  Most of us here are a bit of a combination of both.

You have to be able to dimension lumber first.  Table saw, jointer, and planer accomplishes that task.  If you're a hand tool guy, then it's saws and planes.

You'll also need the basics like layout tools, drills, sanders, etc..

From there, there's a number of other items that greatly enhance your ability to create the kind of stuff you want to build. 

Woodworking is either in your blood or it's not.  I've been around it since I was in diapers but I never took a real interest in fine woodworking until I was in my mid-to-late 20s.  Framing with 2x4s was the extent of my experience.  Nothing prompted the interest...I just eventually found myself with this nagging urge to build.  Once you dig into it, if it's in your blood...it sinks its teeth deep into you and doesn't let go.  If you're not on fire about it, you will quit with a quickness.  It's a frustrating undertaking.

Don't be discouraged by the cost of tools.  A well outfitted shop can take years...decades...to compile and create.  Do a lot of research, ask questions here, make informed and logical decisions about your purchases.  And most importantly...build.  Just build.  The tool collection grows naturally without thought as you tackle more and more projects...learning to build and sticking with it is what requires effort, patience, persistence, tenacity, grit.  And lots of money! :D LOL

Regardless, it's a much better way to spend your time than drooling on an X-Box controller.  Waste of life that is.

I have a little friend that's 11 years old, that one day a couple of years ago, needed a house for his dog. He had no directional guidance from either parent so took it upon himself to build a doghouse out of the only wood available to him, pallet wood. He mowed lawns to buy his first handsaw and scoured the area for a couple of pallets. After the doghouse, he built a park bench. This past Christmas, he made crosses for everyone. He does amazing work to be so young and with so few tools. I took him to HF and spent a few bucks on stuff that I knew he couldn't get hurt on. He's a real inspiration!

jcorb, good luck with your new hobby and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1