Basement Workshop Dehumidifier

PeteJr

What happened to dehumidifier manufacturing quality?

The last one I purchased broke after 3 years ($300+) and that company no longer sells them.  Reading reviews I see complaints about all manufacturers.  My very first unit is 25+ years old and going strong but that's in my son's basement.  Anyone have a recommendation on a recently purchased 50 pint unit?. 

I had read that they changed some regulations and the manufacturers were struggling to make a compliant design that worked well.  My Frigidaire works ok, but biofilm forms in the continuous drain hose and requires being cleaned out now and then or it backs up into the bucket.

I purchased a Frigidaire - 50-Pint Dehumidifier - model FFAD5033R1 ($219+tax).  Attached a garden hose for constant drain and set it to keep the shop at 50% relative humidity.  The 3 speed fan is a nice feature to reduce noise but I keep mine on high.  It cycles on and off automatically when the humidity changes by 5% according to the display on the unit.  I have a good quality humidistat and it shows a +/- 2% range of humidity 25 feet from the humidifier and that seems reasonable.  My shop is in the basement, the floor is epoxy coated and the walls are spray foamed so it's well sealed from excessive moisture penetration.  I'll report back how this unit hold up for those who are interested.

I also just got a Frigidaire 70 pint and it dropped the humidity from 78% to 37% in 12 hours. It's last years model and has really good reviews so I went with it over the new model, plus it was cheaper. One downside is since my shop doesn't have AC, but it well insulated, it has added about 3 degrees to the temperature. I'm going to let in run in continuous mode for 3-4 days to pull the moisture out of the OSB walls and ceilings then set it at 50%. 

http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FAD704DWD-Energy-70-pint-Dehumidifier/dp/B00AU7GZXE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439556718&sr=8-5&keywords=ffad5033r1

The newer Frigidaire model I went with does not raise the shop temperature like my 3 year old WINIX model did.  Perhaps the older WINIX held the humidify to a closer +/- tolerance, ran more hours per day and thus gave off more heat.  In any event I hope the Frigidaire lasts more then a few years.  Between purchase and run costs this is getting expensive!