New to the Forum!

Portia

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and just want to say hi!. I joined because I have a question for all of you.

I found some really interesting looking shop wood, I cut it into manageable pieces and set it aside.  I'm looking

for any project idea that would make good use of the wood. I should tell you that the surface (the cool part) of the

wood chips pretty easily. I have attached a picture. Thanks for any help in advance.

wood pic small.jpg

Edited by Portia

Welcome to the forum! It is always good to have new folks join in. Please don't take offense, but two things come to mind for that material: 1. Fire 2. Wall art. Honestly, the surface damage that gives it the appearance you like makes it unsuitable for furniture, at least in its present state. I can't tell how deep the damage is, but I'm guessing that the solid core is small enough that it won't make for strong joints.

Welcome to the forum! Those kinda look like the sacrificial 2x4s that are on top of my construction saw horses after a few months of cutting on them. They would be very difficult to make a piece of functional furniture out of due to the fragility of wood. Joinery would be near impossible and so would any kind of planing or sanding.

If you build the structural part of a coffee table out of something sound, either new wood or plywood maybe, then you could cover it with your rough weathered pieces. I would have a glass top to put over it so it was a cleanable surface.

It actually takes a fair amount of skill to use weathered old wood because the fresh cut ends stand out. Making rough cuts and carefully staining them is one way to hide those spots. Test the stain and level of rough cut on scraps before you jump into doing anything on the piece you are building.

I recently built a rustic sliding door out of old barn siding. There is a Project Journal on it. I had to flatten the back of each board ( after checking for metal ! ) and reject pieces that were to twisted or rotten. I glued and used very tiny micro pin nails to hold them to. a plywood back. I used a black marker under each seam or knot hole to keep the ply from showing through . Carefully mitering a long strip covered the edge of the ply. This wasn't easy with such rough wood, that's why I recommended you stain the cut ends.

You  really have to be creative in your design and layout to make use of such rough wood. Also working within the amount of available  pieces becomes a big limiting factor. If you don't feel your skills are up to it right now  either save it or like so many others have said burn it.

Edited by wdwerker
Additional info

Welcome, Portia!

When I first saw your photo I thought the best thing to do would be for you to ship it to me. I'll find a nice home for it! 

We live outside Santa Fe - you see things made from wood like this everywhere, particularly doors. It's a little hard to get a sense of scale from your photo, but I would make something like a sliding cabinet door. My wife wants me to make a medicine chest to hang on the wall over our sink. I'm going to do the sliding door thing for it.  

Welcome to the forums!

I'll agree with Steve..  If you use it to build a piece of furniture, you're going to have to beef up the structure.  Might make some nice wall art or you might get away with some cool picture frames out of it..

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you came up with.