My first project in 15 years.

Apt Pupil

Hey all. Thanks for the kind words. I really surprised myself. The bad thing is, I did it at school. I'm going to a tech school & took a woodworking class as an elective. So, I don't have my own workshop anymore. I was, however, recently given an old craftsman tablesaw, radial arm saw, and a Dremel rotary tool. I guess I gotta start somewhere. I used to have, dare I say, a Shopsmith Mark V with bandsaw, jointer & scrollsaw, and a Jet mini lathe. It was so much fun building this table!!

Definitely going to need to see it once it's done.  Looks pretty interesting.  Do the lights change color or brightness? 

Thanks! I'll be sure to post some more pics when I get it finished. And, as for the LEDs, I can change colors, patterns, & can even scroll text with them. If I add a couple of components I can have them respond to music, a VU meter. They are controlled by a microcontroller development board called Arduino. Open source. Google it.

Here's a link to a video & Here

I'm thinking boiled linseed oil with a couple coats of poly urethane. What say you?

Jeff

Eric, I believe you are correct. The lumber yard, Frank Miller Lumber Co., had it labeled as lacewood. I've used lacewood before in pen/kit turning. That was 15 yrs ago, so I just thought that my memory had fogged over time. I had done some looking on the web and got all kinds of things, basically, many different sources contradicting each other. Didn't spend much time looking. That is, until I saw your post. I cranked it up & worked my google on the internet machine, and, in short, I agree with you.

Thanks for helping me try not to embarrass myself. This is my first real post on a woodworking site. The internet is a bigger place than it was back when I was really deep into the hobby. I was to busy with sawdust therapy back then to realize what I could find  on the web.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Edited by Apt Pupil
grammer