Maple Theft

davewyo

I heard of this alleged case of the illegal cutting of maple trees on public lands in Washington.

According to the article; "The textured wood known as “figured maple” found in some big leaf maple trees is prized by woodworkers. Writing the court, Assistant U.S. Attorney Seth Wilkinson said blocks of some patterns – “flame maple” and “quilt maple” – sell for hundreds of dollars."

I had 8 very large Madrones stolen from the back of my property near end of April this year. Based on amount of chain saw chips and other waste still on ground they cut it into rounds and split it for fire wood.  Largest tre was about 36" in diameter. They got up to the ridge using a forest service fire access road. 

Bob,  what is Madrone bark use for?  

Edited by Tom Crawford

I had 8 very large Madrones stolen from the back of my property near end of April this year. Based on amount of chain saw chips and other waste still on ground they cut it into rounds and split it for fire wood.  Largest tre was about 36" in diameter. They got up to the ridge using a forest service fire access road. 

That sucks!  I am not positive on the bark but supposedly it has some sort of medicinal benefits as a tea.  I prefer aspirin so I never checked on all of the reasons.B)

That hurts my soul.  Branches are for firewood, boles are for sawing!