Bath wall tile what to do?

duckkisser

So I'm remodeling my new bathroom and the bath room is a 50s style bathroom that only had a bathtub no shower. I need to install a shower but the tile only goes halfway up the wall. Will that be a problem? Can I install a shower head in the plaster wall and somehow seal the wall to protect it from waterdamage?

Duck, I would definately go to the ceiling with something. I remodeled mine 3 years ago and I was tired of cleaning grout, I removed all of the tile, put new cement backer board and had a company install the faux marble. Almost the best thing I ever did!

Shower head through plaster happens all the time. Just go stand in a shower at the box store. They never extend above my head. The lower the plaster is, the more splash it will catch. This is the sticking point. I use green board when dry walling above tubs and use mildew resistant caulking. You want a quality paint as well. It is certainly the low budget way, but it is doable. 

Yes they do sell something  but it's only available in bright white. It is called FRP ( fiberglass reinforced plastic) they use it in commercial kitchens. It glues to the wall. They make "H" shaped moldings for the seams and  F shaped ones for the bottom so any water is kicked forwards. 

• Like 1

Aren't you going to have to be tearing out the wall to put the plumbing in for the shower head any way?  Seems you are going to have to remove some of the tile to do that so you might as well do it all.  Jerry is right there are some real nice inexpensive fiberglass stuff out there.  I got a real nice one from a local ACE hardware if I remember it was around $300 and the way it interlocks, it is real water tight It looks like tile but with out the hassle.

• Like 1

Behind the shower head is a closet that I can get into that has the pipes exposed behind a plywood panel so I won't needs remove the tile.  I think Steve might have the thing I need to get I'll look into geting that.mthe white won't matter because my walls are already painted white

Edited by duckkisser

Steve is right. We do fire protection in many restaurants and most kitchens use FRP. They use it so they can wash down the walls. I installed it myself in a room where we use dry chemical. It comes, I believe in 8' and 10' x 4' sheets. There is no grain, so it can be installed horizontally, thus elimaniting the need for the H channel.

Good luck Duck!

Could he paint the wall above the tile and then cover with plexi sheets that match the thickness of the tile?  Should be able to seal corner and intersection with tile easily.   It's a brutal hack but would keep water out and not look awful. 

Edited by Vyrolan

The mud is solid the wall is in great shape hell the entire house is in good shape I realy think the frp is the way to go short term then in a few years if I'm still in the house I'll fix it right. Just need to make sure I fix the seam so water won't seep behind the frp pannels 

Unless the access panel is very large it'll be impossible running a pipe from the mixing valve for a shower head.  You'll also have to install blocking to mount the drop ear elbow and treaded nipple.  How will you do this from the rear?

Unless the access panel is very large it'll be impossible running a pipe from the mixing valve for a shower head.  You'll also have to install blocking to mount the drop ear elbow and treaded nipple.  How will you do this from the rear?

the pannel takes up half the wall the top half is cedar planks for lining so ill just have to pull it apart and fix the top.