Red Oak Civil War Era Crate

Keggers

A few months ago Marc hosted a video showing a civil war woodworking book he was currently reading. As a history buff, I was intrigued and ended up ordering a copy of this book for myself.

In the book I found this crate and decided to build a few of them to sell and give as gifts. I've made several of these easy to make crates using cherry, walnut, hickory and red oak.

The crate pictured is rift sawn red oak with a colonial maple stain. I used step dowels in place of nails. I prefer the look of the dowels to nails.

It's an easy project that is fun to build. I'm thinking for Christmas - yep I'm already thinking about Christmas gifts! - I'd make a few more and fill them with apples or oranges and give them as gifts.

d.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

• Like 1

Neat looking Kent. This is the second time today that I've read of "stepped". The other was in an article in FWW where the slats of the back of a bench were inserted into a stepped mortise. Did you make the stepped dowels?

Thank you, Coop. No, I didn't make the step dowels. I used Miller's step dowels. I first saw Norm using them on the New Yankee Workshop.

I really like those little crates. The only thing that I would do differently is, I would cut some hand holes in the end pieces to make it easier to pick up and carry.

I remember as a 12 year old working in a fruit & veggie stand and carrying apple and peach boxes around, those weren't made for looks, they were for a purpose though. (and to make go-carts and scooters with when empty :) )

Rog

Kent, what are the dimensions of the crates?

18" long x 13" wide x 4" high and 3 1/2" deep. The end pieces are 3/4" thick and the slats are 1/2" thick.

I really like those little crates. The only thing that I would do differently is, I would cut some hand holes in the end pieces to make it easier to pick up and carry.

I remember as a 12 year old working in a fruit & veggie stand and carrying apple and peach boxes around, those weren't made for looks, they were for a purpose though. (and to make go-carts and scooters with when empty :) )

Rog

Thank you, Rog. I have made some of  them with handles. I actually just bought some red oak handles off eBay for a larger crate project. I didn't put handles on some of them because the civil war crates didn't have them. I agree it is a lot easier to pick them up with handles or hand holds.

• 3 weeks later...