How to complicate the crap out of something simple

Boatworks Today

Try and paint kitchen cabinets to look better than the original hickory :o...  The cabinets in my house are hickory that had a really cheap, crappy finish that started to fail after a few years...  Water stains, complete lifting, etc; they look bad..  I like the hickory contrast when they were new, but am too lazy to do a total strip and refinish.  I do enough of that at work, last thing I want to do in my "off time" is more stripping :blink:...

anyway, decided to take the simple route and paint the cabinets.  Looked over in my cabinet of goodies and saw a few different glaze colors.. Hmmm...  What would this look like?  

One thing led to another (a Bombay May have had something to do with it) and I have a sample of a fairly close hickory painted cabinet!  Now I only have 30 doors to do plus the boxes...

why couldnt i settle for  just paint!?!?

Trying to figure out how to post pics on new system...  Hang with me for a sec....

ok, if I uploaded the pics in the correct order...

1st pic is after 2 coats of GF linen milk paint

2nd if after 2 glaze coats of burnt umber (and a Bombay)

3rd and 4th are after one glaze coat of van dye brown around the perimeter of the insert panels..

currently waiting for this to dry before applying high performance (flat)...

Original cabinets are in the background; not too bad of a match..  Actually think I prefer the painted sample..  What do you think?  

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 1-1.JPG

photo 2-1.JPG

Edited by Boatworks Today
  • Like 1

My original plan was to paint all the cabinets white and call it done, but I'm also re-doing all the window, door and base trim in the main floor (which was also going to be white).  The entry doors will likely be stained a dark mocha color and kinda thought that if the cabinets were left white along with everything else, that would be a whole lot of white going on!  Possibly too much..

So since the cabinet door I posted is just a test piece I took the glaze to it to see what could come of it.  I like it, but it is a lot more steps!  Paint 2x, glaze 3x, finish 2x...

Any opinions on having white cabinets with little kids (fingerprints, spills, etc)?

You should get the Rooster handle for your Staub. :)

Wife wants it!

• Like 1

Well, being the genius that I am <_< it just dawned on me that painting them white is the first step regardless if I take it further or not.  Turn them white and see what it looks like.  If it's too much, then time to start mixing drinks and laying down the glaze...

I'll post pics after they're painted to get more input!

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ace, I'm looking for someone in the Detroit area (Waterford) to epoxy finish my reclaimed bowling alley kitchen counters and bar top.  I've used a poured epoxy for small projects, but prefer someone with more experience to do my counters.  Do you do this or can you recommend someone?  I had a guy lined up that only does commercial restaurant work, but he could never commit to a date, so 2 months later I realized that it wasn't going to happen.  I can be reached at 248-941-3744.  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ace, I'm looking for someone in the Detroit area (Waterford) to epoxy finish my reclaimed bowling alley kitchen counters and bar top.  I've used a poured epoxy for small projects, but prefer someone with more experience to do my counters.  Do you do this or can you recommend someone?  I had a guy lined up that only does commercial restaurant work, but he could never commit to a date, so 2 months later I realized that it wasn't going to happen.  I can be reached at 248-941-3744.  Thank you.

Hey, just saw this post. Sorry I don't do epoxy. Have you reached out to wood flooring/refinishing companies? Tell them what you need to accomplished. They may have some commercial wood coatings that are just as good or better. 

Edited by AceHoleInOne