Wood Identification

mjwsjohnson

Hey all!  I need some help identifying this wood.  It is relatively light compared to some European Beech that I have.  This is about a 6x6x36 beam that weighs about the same as a piece of Beech that's 3x3x48.  It has a sort of waxy feel with straight course grain.  I got it from a fella who got it from a truck driver that had it left over from a shipment.  Any assistance would be appreciated as I am stumped.

320.jpg

307.jpg

Some more pictures......

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Yeah it plans beautifully but it is nearly impossible to sand.  Its got to have silica in it. I will post a picture of the end grain today sometime.  It seems to be some sort of tropical wood based on its color and weight but the grain being so course and straight is throwing me off.  Most of them are fine grained

These are good distance shots but show me nothing of the anatomy details. See my site for what I'm talking about (if you haven't already seen my end grain shots). I don't expect you to get the kind of detail I do but you need to come a lot closer than what these shots show.

E, I'm not saying it is jatoba, just that I can see any someone would say that. 

I can ID  MAYBE 20 unique woods from the face grain. I've never cut end grain and inspected it under a loupe as I'm sure most of you haven't either.  

If I was asking,  I'd rather get a few wrong guesses that would prompt more pointed research than people not even trying for fear of being wrong.   Just my $.02

My best guess would be tigre caspi.  Otherwise I have no idea.  So many mysterious chunks of wood out there...I'm afraid many of them remain a mystery.

Not a bad guess but unlikely. It's not impossible for tiger caspi to have face grain that regular but it's very unusual, particularly combined with an end grain that would be quite weak for tiger caspi.

So far, all I've been able to do is say what it ISN'T. Wish I could say what it IS.;)

Can you confirm it isn't east indian rosewood? 

Can't confirm that 100% but I'm sure it isn't. Face grain easily could be EI rosewood but the irregularity of the end grain would be VERY unusual.

It's too bad we can't get a better end grain shot. Well, we'll all see when the Ag Dept returns the results.

By the way @mjwsjohnson I was told the other day that they now charge $50 to do wood ID instead of doing 5 free a year for any US citizen. Is that right?

E, I'm not saying it is jatoba, just that I can see any someone would say that. 

I can ID  MAYBE 20 unique woods from the face grain. I've never cut end grain and inspected it under a loupe as I'm sure most of you haven't either.  

If I was asking,  I'd rather get a few wrong guesses that would prompt more pointed research than people not even trying for fear of being wrong.   Just my $.02

I completely agree. My pointing out what it isn't is not intended to discourage guessing, just to aim us towards figuring out what it IS.

I tried but my camera won't focus lose enough to see the pores.  I have sent a sample off to the folks at the Wisconson DOA forest research lab for ID.  I should get the results back within a month.  I will post the findings when the come in.  Thanks all for the help

being that they are a domestic university,  do they also id non native wood?