Garage Shop Layout

johnndeanna

Hello everyone,

I am new to woodworking in general, aside from the normal around the house projects, and am at the point where I would like to be more involved as a hobby. With that said I am looking to create a basic shop in half of my 2-car garage so I can get my tools set up semi-permanently. It is a royal pain to have to dig it all out of my shed in order to work on a project so a shop is in order. I already have several of the larger tools (10" table saw, 12" miter saw, lathe (OLD), 14" bandsaw, and planer. I still would like to get a benchtop sander, jointer and a drill press but have to save up a bit more money to do so. I'd rather put the little extra I have right now into cabinetry and benches.

With that said I have spent a small amount of time on the computer drawing up my garage and placing the major equipment pieces and would like feedback on the positioning of them. I'd like to put the smaller tools on mobile carts to move them around as needed. The miter saw you see in on a DeWalt stand that shows full extension arms. I need to keep the treadmill where it is since my wife likes to look outside while using it. Otherwise, the stairs and refrigerator need to stay where they are, but everything else can move. Outfeed table wil be 4'x6', bench 3'x5', hobby workbench 2'x8'. Table saw will go on a mobile base with an attached router table.

The boat you see does not exist but is a BIG reason I want to get this shop set up. If you could let me know whether this layout would work I'd appreciate it. Being so now to the hobby I really don't know what works layout wise and what doesn't. Any comments are appreciated.

John

Garage%20Shop%20Conversion%20Version%201

Need more information on the boat since you said it doesn't exist. The easy answer is to make sure it doesn't exist in the future, and if it does, find a place other than the garage to store it. 

Remember, the best 2 days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. We had a boat for several years, sold it a got a camping trailer, and have never looked back. 

That boat will exist in the future. Since I neglected to mention this previously, the boat will be a WOOD boat that I will be building, which is the reason I will be wanting the shop sooner than later. Construction will be DF frames and stringers, ash stem and transom knee, sapele keel, cold molded in marine ply and epoxy, painted hull with a sapele and curly maple contrasting deck. 14'-10" long with a 40-60hp Honda OB.

John

Yeah, boats don't go in shops...at least after you're done building it.  Nor do treadmills.  You want exercise, grab yourself a jack plane and some hard maple. :)

For the rest of it...we get this question a lot.  Someone will post a sketch of their layout and ask if it's good.  Problem is, it's a question no one can answer.  Everyone has a different space, a different collection of tools, a different workflow, and a different idea about how much of a priority woodworking is.

Which means there's no meaningful answer.  All you can do is start rolling the tools into your shop, start building projects and everything will fall into place as you go.  Slowly but surely.  It's an evolution and anyone who says they haven't rearranged their entire shop at least a dozen times hasn't been woodworking very long.

Yeah, boats don't go in shops...at least after you're done building it. :)

For the rest of it...we get this question a lot.  Someone will post a sketch of their layout and ask if it's good.  Problem is, it's a question no one can answer.  Everyone has a different space, a different collection of tools, a different workflow, and a different idea about how much of a priority woodworking is.

Which means there's no meaningful answer.  All you can do is start rolling the tools into your shop, start building projects and everything will fall into place as you go.  Slowly but surely.  It's an evolution and anyone who says they haven't rearranged their entire shop at least a dozen times hasn't been woodworking very long.

Yep! All of this, My shop has been rearrange 4 times in the last 6 months. I do see a lot of space where the compressor is, why not put the planer there instead, would make more sense to not have it next to the boat  since you'll need a lot of space for infeed and outfeed.

Unless you are making a boat, then selling the woodworking stuff you should find another home for the boat. If it isn't possible, build a smaller boat and roll it to the driveway when you're in the shop. 

Two reasons:

Space. You are going to need alot more space than you have allotted to work comfortably. Space is one of the biggest issues most of us face.

The BOAT! Once the boat is done, you are going to want to harm some innocent creature if you happen to hit the boat with something. You're asking for trouble.

None of us can create the perfect layout for you. You have to just get some stuff in there, and see how it really fits. Trust me. Things look much better on paper than they do in real life. 

Thanks for the replies all. Yes, the boat will be stored under cover in the driveway once completed. The outline was placed there simply to ensure I could work on it comfortably. I anticipated that the initial layout question would generate the responses it has. I appreciate the comments thus far.

John