Shop made 1/64" shims?

daviddoria

Since I don't have a jointer, I do the (tedious) thing where I hot glue the workpiece to a sled with little shims underneath to fill the voids and "joint" (with a thickness planer) one surface. This works great for boards that are reasonably not flat - I just cut little 3 degree wedges off the end of a 1"x1" scrap piece to make the shims. The edge of those shims seems to be about 1/32". This means for boards that are *almost* flat, but just rock a little bit, the shims don't fit under the gaps. I've tried business cards and little folded pieces of paper, but those seem to compress a little bit when the feed roller presses down on them, defeating the purpose. I've heard the suggestion of playing cards (which I haven't tried yet), but I was wondering if there was a way to get a sharper point on these little shims? Or any other suggestions for something already around the shop that might work for this?

Thanks!

David

I know it sounds crazy... but you could buy some actual shims.

If not, you could buy a few sets of feeler gauges and use those...

If not, you could make some sort of sled that has screws coming up through the bottom. Obviously have the bottom of this sled thicker than the screws so you have room to draw them back...

If not, you can buy a jointer.

If not, you can get a hand plane off ebay for not much money and learn to joint a board that way.

• Like 1

I know it sounds crazy... but you could buy some actual shims.

If not, you could buy a few sets of feeler gauges and use those...

If not, you could make some sort of sled that has screws coming up through the bottom. Obviously have the bottom of this sled thicker than the screws so you have room to draw them back...

If not, you can buy a jointer.

If not, you can get a hand plane off ebay for not much money and learn to joint a board that way.

If not, you can call Mel to come do it for you =)

• Like 1

Standard grade plastic laminate sheets (Formica) are a little under 1/16 thick. Post forming grade is a bit thinner,it's the stuff they use for those rounded edge counters. Vertical grade is even thinner , it might be close to a 64th. I just don't have my calipers handy right now.

They give away samples at most big box stores. Any cabinet shop might give you scraps especially if the color or pattern is ugly or out of use.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could make a thin strip jig for the table saw. It locks in the miter slot and then is adusted so the nose is 1/16 or whatever you need distance from the blade. Put stock against the fence and move fence until stock contacts the stop. Then just rip off a consistant strip. Mine has a couple of skate bearings at the nose so stock moves easier. I also use it as a featherboard.

DSCF0511.JPG