Ash + Dye + Grain Filler

N00b-in-training

First of my newb projects that I'm experimenting with dye and I'm seeing about 10 different ways to potentially accomplish what i'm looking for. I want to get a super smooth finish on ash, based on my experimenting I'm realizing I'm going to need a grain filler to get the result I want. 

I have Behlen NGR dye and plan to use a couple of coats of that then Shellac then ARS. I want the wood all the same color, so I'm looking for a grain filler that I can tint with the dye to get the same color. What would you recommend that isn't water based? 2nd at what point would you use the grain filler? I'm thinking in-between the dye and shellac since I'm not trying to achieve a secondary color. What do you think?

Thanks for the help!!

There's so much going on here, that I'm hesitant to offer any schedule...

I know there is either a video or article on pore-filling and dying Ash and/or Red Oak... It's either in Flexner or Jewitt -- just don't remember... If I can find my Flexner, I'll take a quick look...

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Wood-Finishing-Select-Finish/dp/0875965660/ref=la_B000APORGS_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1439426116&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Wood-Finishes-Jeff-Jewitt/dp/1561582883/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=07WP7G6XDKKT4T5HP6RE

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Finishing-Book-Revised-Edition/dp/1561582999/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AAAQKRMC8SVTWGW85EE

Please get one (or better yet, all) and read them...

One thing, don't use NGRs if you can't spray -- Well, you can, but NGRs are very intolerant of poor hand-applied technique... Very intolerant.

Grain filler: http://www.amazon.com/Pore-O-Pac-Paste-Grain-Filler-Natural/dp/B002K9XC90 - I use this stuff by the gal...

Dye, then pore fill -- and --- pore fill, then dye are both AOK, but leave a very different look.  Get some scrap and practice, practice and practice some more until you find a schedule that you like...

• Like 2

Do you have a photo of the look you want?

And you can spray... What type of setup?

I do not. I'm not trying to create a glossy mirror finish, but rather want it to be smooth and semi-gloss look. 

After reading for a while last night, here is the planned application process:

1 - Dye applied by hand - 2 coats
2 - Very light spray shellac or laquer (will decide which after testing) - 1 coat
3 - Wood Filler - applied via foam brush then sanded with burlap after dried - 1 coat
4 - Spray shellac or laquer (will decide which after testing) - 1 coat
5 - ARS applied by hand - 2 coats

i'd suggest making a sample board with no grain filler.  just dye, shellac, light 320 grit sanding, then top coat.   You might get the look you want with way less effort.    Also, why Arm R Seal?   If you can spray, a pre-cat lacquer will go on great and dry way faster.    Arm R seal is a great hand rubbed, close to wood finish.   But by dying and pore filling, you are negating those benefits but still have to deal with 24 hour re-coat time and dust nibs.  

Thanks Mike. I actually have done some test boards like you suggest and that's why i've started looking into grain filler. The very porous parts of the grain are pretty rough.

Only using Arm R Seal because it's what I have on hand. Didn't think of grabbing a pre-cat lacquer, but I like that it's faster drying.