SawStop PCS almost ready

andrew-in-austin

Just finished my custom mobile base.  I need to move this around to get cars in the garage, but I also wanted storage under the saw to move with the saw.  I plan on making some drawers to hold tools and blades.  The base is made with 2.5" 10-gauge square tubing.  It should be bomb proof.  I just need to get dust collection duct work installed, and I should be good to go.

IMG_1803.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, everybody.  Yes, I did make it myself.  I have a crappy HF small bandsaw (4" x 7") and a decent Miller Tig welder.  I am not the greatest at welding, but I can get the job done.  

I will also probably add a router table extension in there.  Thinking about getting the excalibur cast iron one for about $250.  Seems like a good deal for a cast iron top. I have a incra MDF top, but managed to trash the laminate with finish and other crap, so probably going to have that head to the scrap pile. 

Lacquer thinner should take off finish, stains and such from laminate. Razor blade will get the dried glue. It might not be pretty but it will be smooth. A gray or white abrasive pad will buff it up so wood slides nicely.

i have a cast iron router wing on one of my UniSaws, but I prefer a lift in a laminate top.

Nice looking.  Well done.

What is really impressive is that, like me, the garage is the shop and it is shared.  Nice to see people making the most out of limited space.  (I've gone with organizing drawers, about 16" x 30", varying 3"-4" high, and stack them in an out of the way place.  Makes things take up little space and are easy to find.  The concept might work well under your wing.)

Collinb, yes, it's quite a challenge to share the garage.  This is why everything big needs to be on wheels.  I actually have been working on the new shop re-do for many months, with the goal of being able to move stuff out of the way to park the two vehicles.  Luckily the garage is 22 x 22, so there's just enough room on two adjacent walls to store things when shop is not in use.

However, it took a while to get where I am, and I am not done yet of course.  I had to work at getting every little and big thing not related to wood shop OUT of this garage.  I do have a separate single car garage which is being used for storage (of a 3rd car and "stuff").  I now need to get all the wood shop equipment in its right place.  That includes the table saw, 12" radial arm saw, 20" planer, and duct collector.  I am making due without a jointer for now, but a 12" jointer is on my wish list.

I do intend to add storage under the wing for the saw, and will probably be one of the first projects once the shop is ready.  I'd like to store all my blades, push blocks, tools, etc, as as well as a Incra miter5000 sled.  I really want, as much as possible, all tool related gadgets stored on/under/around each of the tools.

Steve, thanks for the pointers.  I tried mineral spirits, but I didn't really let is "soak" in top of the stains, so I will try again with laquer thinner.  Do you prefer the laminate top because it has the lift, or some other reason?  Whichever way I go, it will have a plate insert for upgradability to a router lift.

• 2 months later...

Andrew  really great looking base I am going to have to do something along those lines  My new sawstop  only rolls one way 

And It needs to go both ways to work well. Love the look of yours is the saw just sitting on it or is it bolted down ?

I am really happy with the saw  as I am sure you will be also.

Dee

Brendon Please explain your thoughts ? I recently sold my Delta Contractor Saw and it had the Incra  fence on it and I was very happy with it? However when I bought my Saw Stop  I went with there better fence and so far I like it also. now it does not do all the fancy things the Incra would do, but it seems easier to use for my work? 

I know many folks would think I made a serious mistake letting the Incra go .

Dee

Andrew, well done great work!

Dee. There is another base you can buy for the sawstop. It is their industrial base (used on the industrial or professional models) which has 4 casters that rotate 360 degrees. This base has a hydraulic lift ( a little foot pump) and when the saw is where you want it to be, the lift lowers the saw onto its own legs. 

industrial base.jpg

Edited by davestanton

Dave  and Others  

I did not realize when I bought my Sawstop that there were  two  different bases . and I  got the cheaper of the two so now I am left with a saw that goes one way only. To be honest it has not been a big deal, and now I have moved my saw to a new spot in shop where it only needs to go one way. So no biggie   But I still like the look of Dave's new rolling  stand and I really would like to raise my saw a bit . I was going to cut the legs down on my off feed  table but if I raised the saw it would accomplish both issues.

Still very happy with my saw!

D

Thanks for all the feedback.  That industrial base is really nice, but I wanted a base that supported both the saw and the table to the right.  Hopefully soon I can build some storage under that table, and when I need to move the saw, it all moves as one piece.

One thing I don't like: there's just a little bit of wiggle, even with the casters locked.  I will probably add some leveling bolts on each corner, where I lower those just enough to lift the casters off the ground.

Hey Andrew. The whole thing about the industrial base is that it picks the saw and the support legs for the extension table up off the ground to move around and then lowers everything back onto the ground without the casters involved in support anymore. I doubt it would lift an after market cabinet as well where your design obviously will. 

All that said, maybe if you lock your casters in a few different directions you may find the slight wobble disappears?

Either way, yours is an innovative idea and appears to be very well built.

Andrew, I missed the part about the incra fence instead of the Sawstop fence (even though there is a dirty big picture at the beginning of the thread!) . Your system is about the only way I can see this working. A note about the sawstop rails. They are integral in keeping the wings in line with the main cast iron table as the sawstops do not have adjusting/leveling grub screws below the attachment bolts. How have you managed to get a dead flat surface with the incra?