Delta TS 36-5100

rodger.

Anyone have experience with this saw?  Looks kinda funky with the tubular legs and was wondering if it's a decent saw.  Sells for over 1000 U.S. With the cast iron wings.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/new-5000-series-table-saw/item/36-5100?category_id=113

It's pretty much the same saws as the 36-725, but with cast wings, 15 amp motor, and a one piece fence rail.  To me, the 36-725 seems like a pretty good deal at < $600, but the 36-5000 and 5001 get a hefty premium for those couple of extras....nice enough saw with a good fence, but I don't think it's the most saw for $1k.  A little more buys a lot more saw IMO.  Compare it to other saws in that general range and see if you don't agree.

$1050:

41Z1pHD4QBL.jpg

$775 + $99 s/h:

g0715p-d37eb3a4945186f49c8419670c784a58.

$1325 + $99 s/h:

g1023rl-9585eecfd1cd66d071438be26fece351

Edited by knotscott

Nice saw, great fence, has good hybrid style guts (check the online manual and compare exploded parts diagrams to the Jet Proshop and PM64b), and is really expensive IMO.....are you restricted to 120v?

No, im not limited to 110 (I could run a new line if i needed), but I have used a TS3650 for years and have never run into a power issue.  I figured that if the ridgid served we so well, there really is no need for a larger motor.  I also require a smaller footprint than most of the larger saws demand.  I thought the PM might be a good fit, but the price is pretty steep.

The good news is that a saw like the G0690 or G1023RL with a standard fence don't take up any more space than the Delta, but offer a whole lot more stuff under the hood.  The jump to a 3hp cabinet saw isn't just about more power.  It's about a much more massive machine that doesn't budget when you use it, larger handwheels that are super smooth, massive trunnions and heavier underpinnings that should last several lifetimes, and dictating the feedrate to the saw vs having the saw dictate to you.  

The 3650 is a pretty nice contractor saw.  I'm not convinced that the Delta will seem like much of an upgrade....you'll gain a riving knife and an inboard motor.  If you're gonna make a change, I'd avoid a sideways step.  Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 2

The good news is that a saw like the G0690 or G1023RL with a standard fence don't take up any more space than the Delta, but offer a whole lot more stuff under the hood.  The jump to a 3hp cabinet saw isn't just about more power.  It's about a much more massive machine that doesn't budget when you use it, larger handwheels that are super smooth, massive trunnions and heavier underpinnings that should last several lifetimes, and dictating the feedrate to the saw vs having the saw dictate to you.  

The 3650 is a pretty nice contractor saw.  I'm not convinced that the Delta will seem like much of an upgrade....you'll gain a riving knife and an inboard motor.  If you're gonna make a change, I'd avoid a sideways step.  Just my 2 cents.  

Good advice - thanks.

Edited by franklin pug