Miter saw station / location - window behind the saw or not?

-MattK-

I'm still living in "pre-shop fantasyland" (expecting the permit in a week or so) so lots of time tweaking the shop layout in sketchup. 

At the moment I'm designing the cabinet layout and am at a decision point for where to place the miter saw (Kapex)

Option 1: install it with 8-10' left of the saw and 6-8' to the right.  There will be a wall behind the saw so countertop depth is 25 5/8".  The 6-8' to the right will be 6-8' supported feet, I'll have more room beyond that just no cabinets or countertop beneath the piece.

Option 2: install it with 6-7' of space to the left and 8' to the right (so a shorter overall run of cabinets).  But in this instance I'll have the window behind the saw, so I can scoot the saw back a bit.

With no window under consideration, I'd put more length to the left of the sawblade - I tend to use the miter saw with the final piece on the left. But I was thinking the ability to scoot the saw back (and get more support when cutting a wide board) may be worth changing things up...  any strong opinions out there?

I have a flexible neck light on each side shining down on each side of the blade brightly illuminating the cut line.  They're cheap lights from Lowes that I put good LED bulbs in.  I have a big dust box, and they clamp on the top of that.  They plug into a switched multi-outlet thing sitting on top of the box.

• Like 1