Retro-Gaming

Llama

I figured I'd start a thread about this... I know there are some gamers on here... But, not sure how many are into the old systems as well as the new.

The systems I owned as a kid were the NES, Genesis and PS1. There are so many other systems I wanted as a kid.  I now own most current systems as well. 

Moving forward, I stumbled onto this retro-gaming craze... I knew it existed, but really didn't give it much thought. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Now I NEED these old systems again. Sure, there are emulators that do a pretty good job on most games... But in this digital world, it is nice to be able to hold a physical copy of a game and read through the manual. Looking at the great cover art. And yes, the joys of fighting with the game to load. Brings me back to my childhood.

Although there are plenty of other systems I will soon own, I wanted to start with the one that I never had. In all actuality it didn't do too well in the US because of poor marketing. I was glad to see the amount of import games that are available, and how easily they will play in the US system. So, I put my money down and went home with my very own Sega Saturn. I can't put it into words how great the experience is. Playing through Virtua Figher 2 and Daytona USA are joys I never knew as a child. I played them at the arcade, but never owned them for myself. Needless to say, I hopped on eBay and bought a "few" more games. I'm not sure which console I'll pick up next. I guess, that's part of the fun. 

Sega Saturn: $40

Daytona USA: $3

VF2: $5

Reliving a better version of your childhood: Priceless! :) 

11856494_10207579993446102_4228473781472

11028348_10207579462072818_5933201825840

11885718_10207579993806111_9189918337553

• Like 2

ha-ha - very cool!  I had the original Atari (it even had some wood panels) - I remember hooking up the RF switch to the two screws in the back of the TV before my parents got up in the morning and made me put it away!

I also had the original Sega master system, the original shoe box size game boy, as well as the SNES.  I remember lots of time spent playing "hang-on", "afterburner", "goldern Axe", "altered beast", and a host of other games on the sega.  I also loved FF on the SNES.

I remember reading about some systems in magazines and such as a kid, and not being able to afford them or they were unavailable in Canada.

Glad you are enjoying your new toys!

• Like 1

Ahh, the Model 2. I've had a Model 1 since it came out. Also have a Dreamcast I picked up about 8-10 years ago. That's it for retro for me, though. I sold the older Nintendo stuff once the Wii came out with Virtual Console. With the Retron, I sorta wish I had at least held onto the games, but I don't miss the cartridges.

• Like 1

I've got an original Nintendo with all my games that I had, NES zapper gun, NES Max controller. I have A Sega Genesis with 32X and Sega CD, I also have my Sega Dreamcast, which was the best gaming system ever. Xbox and Xbox360. Best part is, I'm not a big console gamer. I used to be a PC gamer but that has since past. Only game I ever really play is Backgammon, Chess and sometimes I'll play Vainglory (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) on my tablet, and school some noobs with oldschool tricks.

• Like 1