Bar Stools finally complete!

N00b-in-training

I have finally finished my first build from rough dimensioned lumber. 10 years ago my father cut down several trees right when my oldest was born, (Ash, Walnut, Red Oak, and Cherry) he had it sawn into dimensional lumber and stickered it in his barn. I didn’t realize it but after visiting home this past winter I found the lumber still stickered in the top of the barn, obviously very well dried at this point.

After finally finishing my shop build, the wife requested bar stools as the first project for our kitchen bar counter. She wanted them to be black and dark brown to match her décor, I decided to use the ash so I could dye it as she wanted without crying over dyeing walnut.

Being a newbie, I don’t think I was ready for the complexity of stools with 5 degree compound angle legs but I’m finally done. I used mortise and tenons for the stretchers, cut on the table saw and a hollow chisel mortiser (if I ever have to cut angled M&T joints again I’ll buy a Domino!). Cut buttons to attached the seat to the legs. I considered saddling the seat but decided I just wanted to get the project done and move on to the next one.

Finish:

Seat –

• 2 coats of Solar Lux American Walnut Dye (although the color came out a little redder than planned)
  • Spray Shellac wash coat

• Behlen Pore-O-Pac grain filler dyed with the Solar Lux

• 1 additional coat of dye

• 3 coats of Watco Semi-Gloss spray lacquer

Legs –

• 2 coats of Solar Lux Jet Black Dye
  • Spray Shellac

• 3 coats of Watco Semi-Gloss spray lacquer

All in all, I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. Learned more about what to do different next time than what I did right. Haha.

Thanks to all who answered questions along the way!

IMG_1305 (2).jpg

IMG_1300 (2).jpg

• Like 1