Clean or restore

Mary

This forum is very informative!  I was recently given a burled walnut bed and matching dresser with a granite top and a framed mirror above that. Due to a fragment of the manufacturers  "sticker", I was able to find out it had been made in Milwaukee, WI in 1882. The interiors of drawers are completely finished. The entire set is all walnut and my question is this:  In some areas the finish is completely off on the exposed pieces of wood. I plan to use this furniture and am wondering if I should just clean it all with Murphys oil soap and just leave it alone? Or do I strip the whole thing and re -shellac (which I have never used before)?  Thanks.

I posted pictures in the Gallery under the title "Burled Walnut".

I have zero intentions of selling it; I'm more concerned with the fact that part of the finish on the wood is gone, worn away. I don't want it to deteriorate further.  I have refinished some furniture too but it was mostly not valuable stuff that belonged to my great-grandmother. 

I'm happy to leave the bedroom set as it is, even the bare spaces where there is no finish if that will be the best thing to do.

The dresser has a granite top, not marble. Did they use granite then as well as marble?

If you're just looking to preserve it then I would have it restored.  No sense in letting it degrade if it isn't some collectible piece.  If you want to do it yourself you'll need to figure out what it is first and then experiment a little with matching the original finish.

If you think it is shellac then you can test in an inconspicuous spot with denatured alcohol, which removes/dissolves shellac.  One of the benefits of shellac is that it is very easy to repair, but you'll want to try to match the color.  I've purchased variety packs of flakes at Shellac Shack: http://www.shellacshack.com/

If it isn't shellac I'd probably have it done professionally, but that's just my comfort zone.  Bob Flexner has a few finishing books that have sections that tell you how to determine what finish something has and how to apply or repair various finishes.