wood and wire keychain

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/60/4205/Artisan-Wire-Key-Ring-Kit-3-Pack?term=key chain

so I came across these key chains in this companies catalog and really like how they look. was thinking of nocking out a dozen for the holidays for those surprise gifts from friends and coworkers for when they bring me something. seems simple enough to make but the thing is I am not going to pay almost a dollar for a metal ring.  I am sure there is a cheaper alternative that I could use for the wire keychain.  does anyone have any idea about what I could use for the wire? or how can I keep the wood center from popping free from the metal wire ring? some kind of spring steel or memory wire for jewelry might be able to be used but what would keep them from popping out of the wood.

Those rings have to be spring steel. They need expand to allow the disk to be inserted, and spring back into the groove, yet remain loose enough to spin so the keys can slip through the gap. I'd pony up the dough and buy them, rather than monkey around with some other stuff that has a high probability of failure.

• Like 1