Wall storage options

wtnhighlander

My shop is actually a larg-ish 2 car garage, in which I still park two cars. I'm working on the arrangement to make access easier. I have three old free standing book cases that I use for storage, but I want to remove them and free up floor space for tools. The ceiling is 12' high, and the walls are still bare studs. Any suggestions on how I can make the most effective use of all that wall space?

What about building shelves within the studs.  If you needed an 8" deep shelf, building into stud cavity would mean only 4 1/2 inches would be sticking out. 

Thought about that, but square footage isn't the problem. Also, I eventually want to insulate and finish the walls & ceiling, although there aren't TOO many days that I can't stand to work out there as it is. What I really need is a way to access cabinets or shelving higher up the wall. Steve's library stairs come to mind, but that requires space to manouver. Maybe some sort of ladder that could latch to a rub-rail at the bottom of the cabinets. I just don't have a clue where to begin.

What about building shelves within the studs.  If you needed an 8" deep shelf, building into stud cavity would mean only 4 1/2 inches would be sticking out. 

That depends on whether you would benefit from insulating those walls.  In your location I would think you would insulate and maybe hang sheet rock or some other wall covering.

What kind of and how much shelving will depend on what you want to store

I have no cars in my two car garage shop but I do have a lot of stuff that isn't shop related stored there.  In my case maybe 1/3 of the wall space is covered floor to ceiling with 16" deep shelves vertically spaced about 20" apart.  It is made from 2x4's, 2x3s, and flake board and was there when I bought the house

I have clamp storage and peg board above one of the benches.  I have considered a deep shelf fairly high up above another bench.

I am thinking that if need to I will add storage above the roll up door.

With a 12' ceiling you could store a lot of stuff on wall shelves above 8' where it would be completely out of the way for most purposes.  That assuming you need to store things that you don't need frequent quick access to.  Your wood working stuff would probably want to be more accessible, but if you need to store seasonal stuff high wall shelves might be nice.

I'd insulate the wall and sheet with OSB.  I'd install wall cabinets, with doors, above tool space.   I really don't like open storage or peg board in a wood shop, and am continually working to remove it from mine,

With the high ceiling, have you ever considered a rolling ladder?  High storage is great for lighter, infrequently used stuff.

• Like 1