ARS over Danish Oil

Tom Cancelleri

No, you're all good as long as the DO is completely dry.  I find you start getting into trouble when you use more than one coat of DO.  The first coat dries pretty fast because the wood is thirsty and soaks most of it up with a quickness.  But that second coat of DO just does not want to dry.  God forbid you put a third coat on without a couple weeks in between.

But one coat of DO and then straight to ARS, golden.  I think three days of drying for the first coat of DO is more than adequate unless it's been super humid...or if you absolutely drowned the wood in oil.  If you wiped back you're probably good to go now.  Keep waiting if it feels at all tacky.

Tom - just wondering why you used the Danish oil under the ARS? If you're using an oil varnish like ARS or Waterlox there really isn't a reason to use another oil under them. Both varnishes are thin and the first coat will soak into the wood like Danish oil, BLO, etc. Plus you don't have to worry about how long to wait until you can apply the next product. 

Danish oil does give walnut and cherry a bit more depth and richness than straight ARS.  Despite popular belief, ARS does not technically have oil in it.  It was MADE with oil and resins, but it's no longer oil.  The fact that they put "Oil and Urethane" on the can means nothing...marketing BS.

Danish oil is an oil/varnish mix...ARS is pure varnish, diluted.  One coat of DO can add to the warmth of some woods.  I don't always do it, but I do think the extra step can be worth it.

• Like 2

I don't think the "extra step" requires much effort...the first coat of DO goes on pretty much the same way the first coat of ARS does.  But I'll admit that, ultimately, the difference in appearance is probably undetectable to the average eye.

I have to say though...don't have any evidence or examples, definitely no empirical proof...I feel like a coat of DO on walnut before ARS makes the wood just a bit more "chocolatey."  And I love when walnut looks chocolatey.  It could all be in my head, but I've convinced myself of it, regardless.

Despite popular belief, ARS does not technically have oil in it.  It was MADE with oil and resins, but it's no longer oil.  The fact that they put "Oil and Urethane" on the can means nothing...marketing BS.

OK, I'm not buying that ARS doesn't have oil in it. Soak an old t-shirt with ARS, wad it up into a ball, and put it in your neighbors trashcan. If three days go by and no fire trucks show up then I'm wrong. 

I have to say though...don't have any evidence or examples, definitely no empirical proof...I feel like a coat of DO on walnut before ARS makes the wood just a bit more "chocolatey."  And I love when walnut looks chocolatey.  It could all be in my head, but I've convinced myself of it, regardless.

next time you spend weeks on a project done up in walnut,  grab a can of that chocolate milk paint stuff. Does amazing things for covering up the ugly walnut color/grain. 

Trust me, I'm a doctor, of science!

Water bottles are made from petroleum, but I'll be damned if there's any oil in them by the time they touch my lips.  Tires, fabrics, a million other examples.  Chemical reactions do amazing things. :)  There's no oil in ARS...it's made from oil.  I'm not gonna say it won't combust...not gonna find out either...but it's not the same as Danish oil, which is an oil/varnish blend.  ARS is just varnish.

I guess it is a matter of perspective.  Saying "ARS does not have oil in it" is kind of like saying "Cake has no eggs or flour in it".  

I can agree that cured ARS has no oil in it.  But the stuff in the can is a modified oil that is waiting to be cured.   It is the difference between cake batter (which is still eggy and oilly and flour-y) and a baked cake, which is not eggy or oily or floury (if you did it right).    

Right.  In that case the eggs undergo an endothermic reaction and they turn into something entirely different.  They're still eggs but they don't look or taste anything like the runny chicken fetus that comes out of a cracked shell.

Same thing with oil when it's converted to varnish.  It undergoes a physical change during the manufacturing process which creates something entirely different that behaves entirely different.

I suppose the statement "there's no oil in ARS" is technically inaccurate, but when describing it in comparison with an oil/varnish blend like DO...it is accurate, for the sake of distinction.

Of course it doesn't matter.  They're all good finishes.  Everyone has their own opinion about how wood looks best and how to get it that way.  But only one of us can be right.  And that's me. :D

Right.  In that case the eggs undergo an endothermic reaction and they turn into something entirely different.  They're still eggs but they don't look or taste anything like the runny chicken fetus that comes out of a cracked shell.

Same thing with oil when it's converted to varnish.  It undergoes a physical change during the manufacturing process which creates something entirely different that behaves entirely different.

I suppose the statement "there's no oil in ARS" is technically inaccurate, but when describing it in comparison with an oil/varnish blend like DO...it is accurate, for the sake of distinction.

Of course it doesn't matter.  They're all good finishes.  Everyone has their own opinion about how wood looks best and how to get it that way.  But only one of us can be right.  And that's me. :D

Technically you're not right, an egg isn't a runny chicken fetus until it's been fertilized, and eating that would be terrible. Gargle "balut" Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

OK, I'm not buying that ARS doesn't have oil in it. Soak an old t-shirt with ARS, wad it up into a ball, and put it in your neighbors trashcan. If three days go by and no fire trucks show up then I'm wrong. 

The point here is that it is classed as a wiping varnish not an oil varnish blend.  See Marc's video on the basics of oil finishes.

[yt]pCzblO0f8P8[/yt]