Dining Table (Removable Top)

BobInAustin

I saw the Sketchup of the top and immediately was concerned with the self-made veneer.  I'm not sure that me or my bandsaw are up to the task of cutting veneers.  I guess I could make them thicker and then use the planer to bring them down to the final size.  

Has anyone else thought about alternatives?  Purchased veneer. I've never attempted that.  Plywood.  I see the problems with the ship lapped edges.   Solid wood.   Movement will mean that at times the top will have some gaps.

Just use 3/4" plywood with edge-banding. I'm opting for home-sawn veneer because it's something I haven't shown yet in the Guild and it's also a nice way to get some additional durability out of a heavy-use surface. In lieu of that I would just go with standard 3/4" plywood that comes with a face veneer you like. There's really no requirement for veneer.

• Like 1

Well I have some leftover cherry and that is probably what I will make this table out of so maybe I will practice some on the bandsaw.  I can't visualize how to make the ship laps appealing with veneered plywood. (Three pieces of edge banding per edge?) 

PS I might be a wee bit excited about this project. :)