Table saw cut quality

Greg

I'm new to the woodworking community and I have just a few projects under my belt. I have the Dayton 10" hybrid saw that Grainger sells. Since I have owned it, now about 4 months, and I have calibrated it three separate times and I am still having a problem. The problem is the blade cuts a small bevel on the last 1/2" or so of any cut against the fence. The blade is aligned within .003" to the miter slots and the fence is a angled away from the blade at the back by a few thousandths. I never actually used the stock blade since it was terrible. I am using an Irwin 50 tooth "Marples" blade. The blade is as close to 90* to the table as I can discern. Any recommendations? It's not keeping me from completing projects but it bugs me that a new saw won't cut a perfectly straight line. This is the current project I'm working on. Will have doors hopefully tonight. ff2c067f560e6da473131e143ac8f29b.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the Dayton may be the same saw as the Ridgid sold at Home Depot.  I've heard of these saws having a problem where the blade changes its alignment as it is raised and lowered.  So you align the blade at max height, and then with it lowered for a cut it's now off.  You could check that by making a cut at the same blade height you calibrated it at and see if there is any difference.  If you are getting a resonating zing sound from the blade at the end of the cut that's from the blade being deflected in the cut and then as the cut finishes it snaps back into shape.

I spoke with an engineer at the company who sells the saws to Grainger and he walked me through a few adjustments I can make. I did what he recommended and then re-calibrated the blade to the miter slot with the blade just below the upper stop. I got the blade within .002" and then put it back together and tested a cut with the blade adjusted to cut 3/4" stock. The problem seemed much worse than before so I checked the alignment of the blade and it was out .023" from from to back of the blade even with so little blade above the table. So now I decided to use weithman5's suggestion to align the blade at the height I will most often be using it. After that it's working pretty well. I think it's a situation where my expectations must be unrealistic. It's an relatively inexpensive Chinese made saw. Grainger has offered a new saw but I'm skeptical about getting one that has the same problem and it's a bit of hassle to get a 315lbs saw out of my basement. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue with the Ridgid, and several other models that use the same mechanism is that the alignment shifts when the blade height is changed. as described by krtwood.  Some are fortunate to have it come back into alignment if the height handwheel is rotated in the opposite direction by a fraction of a turn, but  most do not.  Ridgid was supposedly offering an updated trunnion mechanism that's suppose to fix it. Otherwise there's really no permanent cure if your saw has that issue.  The good news is that not all saws did.  I'd consider swapping the saw for another, or swapping out the critical parts if they offer them.  If you swap saws, spend some time with the Grainger folks and check the new one before dragging it home.

IMHO, this saw (or at least the faulty mechanism) really should have been recalled.  It creates a very dangerous situation for kickback if the back of the blade shifts toward the fence.  

Good luck! 

Edited by knotscott

I tried the trick where you rotate the hand wheel back a quarter turn and it definitely helps. I can see the blade move back into alignment. I'm still going to get the saw replaced but at least it will be functional in the mean time. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any comments so far about blade alignment issues with the Delta 36-725 and I have been using a two-piece rail so far without issue. It's definitely a contender. I'm also looking at the Grizzly G0771 but there is very little information about it from current users.  It has a fence more on par with the Ridgid saw but a much nicer cabinet design. I do need my saw to be mobile and the Grizzly would require an additional purchase to make it mobile. I'm trying to be more thorough this time so I don't end up with a saw that I have to return. 

It must be a regional supply issue then. I can search for "Delta 36-725" on their website or app and I only get two throat plate inserts. When I searched on google I was able to find a product page on Lowes website but there were none in stock in the Atlanta area and it did not give me an option to order one for store pickup. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was finally able to find a Delta 36-725 at a Lowes about an hour away. I had some help from a guy at my local Lowes to get the saw transferred. I picked it up on Saturday and unpacked everything. I started assembling the saw and I got to a point where I wanted to consult the manual but I could not find one. Then the side panels for the legs were missing. I'm also missing the fence lock handle and the anti-kickback pawls. The saw cuts fine but I had to use one of the handles for a hand wheel for the fence. I'm really impressed with how quiet the saw it. I will see how impressed I am with Delta customer service getting all of the missing parts... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I'm used to it. The Dayton saw I'm replacing didn't have the dado insert or the hardware to attach the fence rails. At his point I have the saw working and it's much better than what I have been working with for the last six months. Just made a couple of zero clearance inserts last night. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk