my first project

mitchboudeman

This is my first wood project and I didn't start off too simple. My girlfriend requested a coffee table for her birthday and I figured it could be pretty simple. But then I started looking at pictures online andd got a little ahead of myself. So after a lot of learning and a few months I finally finished. It's 4 feet by 2.5 feet made out of walnut, ash, European red oak, african purple heart, and poplar. It also has a bartop epoxy on top 

20150813_195155-1.jpg

2015-08-20_11.01.58.jpg

20150813_194600-1.jpg

You certainly didn't start off simple!  Super nice job on the finish!  What joinery did you use for the base and how did you attach the top?

I built the base first and I used mostly screwed and glued butt joints. Then for the top I screwed a piece of half inch plywood the same size as the top onto the base. Then I put the top directly onto that with glue and screws from under the plywood. Finally I put a veneer on the bottom of the plywood so all screws are hidden and put the trim around the outside.