General Drum sander

mat60

I have a General International double drum sander model 15-260..Its a 05..Been using it for years..The operating manual that came with it doesn't go into enough detail ..I use it allot for face frames doors ,tops and a lot more..I have never been happy with the snipe I get on each end of the work..I support the work  going in and out of the sander.I like to find more information if anyone would help...Thanks

You might be taking off too much in one pass. Another trick is to run scrap wood a similar thickness tightly butted  before and after the parts you are sanding. Or you can sand boards leaving enough extra to trim after sanding.

There might be some adjustments you can make. Are the infeed and outfeed tables level with the feed belt? Are the pressure rollers adjustable ?

I have a 16/32 Performax drum sander and haven't used a General so your machine may be different.

• Like 1

The end of the feed belt front and back are adjustable in hight and they are level with the feed belt . There is 5 pressure rollers and I have them set so when you take a light pass they just touch the work suferce..I also wonder how tight the feed belt should be..Right now its just tight enough so the belt doesn't slip..Im thinking its easer on the berrings..The scrap wood Idea sounds like a good  one..Also  my instructions it tells me to adjust the feed table that you remove the chain and adjust each corner so its level with the drums.No problem but the drums them selfs are adjustable in hight  and been adjusted  many times so I cant go of them..Wish I could post a pic but soon I hope.

I'm thinking the only way I'm going to take care of the snipe is a wide belt sander but not now. Maybe in the mean time I can get my wife to give me a hand.:unsure: and  its possible  maybe  she can help me to keep all the parts going  through the sander at the same time...

2 people really do make a difference when running a stack of parts using the end to end method. A 3 or 4 ft infeed and outfeed table and a lot of hustle will let one person do it but a slower feed rate is required or you will burn out quickly !

Thanks for the help..I think there is hope now..:)