Identify old plane

Strasberry

I found this plane for sale for $25.00 and couldn't pass it up, So can anyone help me with a identification on this old plane. It is a Stanley and I think it is a #32 Joiner plane, but there are no marks except on the blade itself. It shows PATAPL19 92. There is also an S Stamp on the piece that holds the blade in place and a B stamp on the base. It is about 24" long with a metal plate attached to the bottom. I've looked around and can't find any information on this size. The #32 shows as 26" long, so I'm not sure if they've cut it off and shortened it or what. Not even sure if all the parts are original! Can anyone help?

plane.jpg

I have one plane like that. I think they were sort of transitional between wooden and all iron planes. 

It just lives on the display in my front window. I keep them all fairly sharp and use them occasionally. I refuse to buy an inoperable or incomplete plane or old tool. A few tools from both grandfathers are especially prized possessions.

Let us know what you find out !

Edited by wdwerker
Incomplete
  • Like 1

According to blood and gore it's probably an antique Stanley #31 transitional jointer plane. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm#num31

It seems to have a low knob so might be an early one pre 1900. You may get close to working out its age by studying that webpage. Talk of use of brass bushings to help with the round headead screws that hold the casting onto the wooden base is mentioned for instance. That would age it 1912 or younger.

A good buy for $25

According to blood and gore it's probably an antique Stanley #31 transitional jointer plane. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm#num31

It seems to have a low knob so might be an early one pre 1900. You may get close to working out its age by studying that webpage. Talk of use of brass bushings to help with the round headead screws that hold the casting onto the wooden base is mentioned for instance. That would age it 1912 or younger.

A good buy for $25

Thanks Terry! There are no brass inserts any where, so I'm assuming that it is probably from around the turn of the century. All of the wood screws are in excellent shape and the holes are not stripped. A bit of corrosion on the base plate and iron! but still usable!

• Like 1