Wife is over sharing the garage

Brendon_t

Full disclosure,  I'm pretty sick of it too but this was her idea. 

I currently work in the  front (garage door side) of my garage. I get about 12 feet x the full 16' wide. It's not a lot but it's enough.  Knowing that total dust collection is impossible,  I can do pretty good with my 1.5 hp PM and small blower type collector. Still,  there is a pretty fine coat of dust that makes its way over to her side of the garage and invariably covers everything.  The laundry baskets,  storage racks, her folding table.. so apparently she's over it. Over the weekend she asked me if I could put a wall up between my shop, and the rest of the garage..

Now if I was to do this,  I'd have to extend the lighting circuit, add wall outlets on my side, and put a window in on hers.  Have any of you put a wall up to divide a room?  Is it as easy as a 2x4 panel, attached to the garage floor and roof joists, insulate and Osb cover? Seems like it should be pretty straightforward to me.

So temporary IS an option,  but quite honestly, I think it will look like crap.  

I don't mind throwing a wall up.  It would give me more wall space which is severely lacking and the opportunity to fix the electrical issues I deal with. 

I figure if I get to pimp out my space though,  I'd better make her a decent laundry room too.

Unfortunately shed isn't an option as my house sits on a crazy slope  and being in California,  we don't have basements.

Edited by Brendon_t
  • Like 1

On a more serious note, hanging air filter would probably cut down a lot of the visible dust build up...it's well-documented they don't do jack to keep you from breathing the super fine, but they do a fantastic job of preventing the "dust settled all over everything overnight" situation.

• Like 1

I have thought about doing this very thing several times but I end up thinking that it is going to make both sides feel smaller.  In my situation, if I were to put in the wall I would also have to move the band saw and router table in about 3 feet or more toward the center of the shop.   I have  a 1 micron DC and the residuals that end up in the laundry area are much more then an equal amount of dryer lint that is in the area. I think Vyrolan is on to something maybe up grade to a better quality DC system micron wise and/or air filter. you might not spend much more then the materials to do the wall properly with doors and windows, wiring and all.  

In a 2 or maybe 2-1/2 car garage shop, I put up a wall creating a 6' by 22' room between the shop and the kitchen.  The laundry and a lot of storage shelves fit nicely in that space and my shop fits nicely in the remaining space.  If we wanted to, the cars would fit, but we consider it a shop rather than a garage.

The wall is put together with screws and would be easy to take out if we wanted to do so to sell the house, but I think that a lot of folks would like it the way it is.

• Like 1

So after messing around with the grizzly shop planner, it looks like I would need to loose about 6" of depth from what I have now.  My (under half) would be 11' deep by 18'3 wide. I gain a wall that is open air now, and would finally have  plugs whets I need them. She also agreed to have my 40 gallon air compressor on her side and I would pipe through the wall. 

Since "her side" would be a laundry room plus the general garage storage,  I think she warrents the bigger side. 

As for just upgrading the dc, this is also an option. I just don't think it's a good one.  My garage door runs up my side of the garage so rigid piping is out. The band saw will NEVER have adequate collection. 

My normal standard operating procedure is to collect at the machine,  I always have my garage door open at least 4' giving a decent air exchange, and I have a high velocity fan that lives on the snap-on box pointed out of the shop.  When I'm done working, garage stays open and fan on for at least an hour.  Just that fan has cut down settling particulates by a huge margin but it's still not enough. I do fear it feeling smaller on there but again,  I work with the garage completely open 8 months out of the year. 

Coop, agreed. Conversation closed.  I'm goin fishing. 

Mike,  technically, I'm woodworking in the laundry room since she was there first. 

• Like 1

Hey great idea E, Now let's continue this conversation. ... ..get your crap out.. 6 hours later Kids are all asleep, soft music playing, ask if she's ready to go upstairs and I get this face back..m b4005c70671fcf3f33ee4ed43cc572a9.jpg Yeah,, no.. Thanks for helping but in the future, how about Not helping.. I control the pants... She controls the skirt.. What's more important to you? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is other crap in there that isn't on the plan.  Here's how the conversation just went. 

Me : sorry,  I can't do the wall,  I need at least 8 feet behind the blade on my table saw and 6 feet behind and in front of the blade on the jointer.  At 11' deep I can't get there. 

Her:so move the wall over a foot or two

Me: can't do it,  it has to be on either side of the door. 

Her: if you move to this side of the door,  will the dog crates still fit there? 

Me: yeah and I could build a cool alcove for them

Her: than just do that. .

It was all her idea if anybody asks. .

She gets 8' x 18'.  There is just to much wasted space in that laundry room. 

Seriously.  Our laundry room is like...well, twice the size of the washer and dryer.  And yet somehow we still manage clean clothes.

Obviously I was being sarcastic earlier...but there's always a solution to a problem.  You just haven't found it yet.  That's a ridiculous amount of space for such an insignificant part of life.  Tell her you'd like to store your spear guns in her bathroom and see how she reacts. :)

Seriously.  Our laundry room is like...well, twice the size of the washer and dryer.  And yet somehow we still manage clean clothes.

Obviously I was being sarcastic earlier...but there's always a solution to a problem.  You just haven't found it yet.  That's a ridiculous amount of space for such an insignificant part of life.  Tell her you'd like to store your spear guns in her bathroom and see how she reacts. :)

Our laundry room is a plywood platform 4" on all sides bigger than the washer and dryer, then I built a 32"x48" roll around folding table.  

It sounds like Brendon's wife gave him want he wanted.