Shop Pictures

Chet

Chet, Well done. Oh to be that organized!! Obviously though it's a typo and not 18 sq. ft.?

It's not a typo. it says 18 ft. square, as in 18 ft each direction:P

Nice set up. Why is your jointer facing backwards? 

No it is not being punished - It only as two swivel wheels on the base so when storing it against the wall its easier to just swing it in a 180 from were it sits on the floor when I am using it.

Glad to see you have a fridge in there as well Chet! What timber did you trim the drawers on the out feed table with?

The out feed table is all 1/2 birch ply with the exception of the legs which are made from Douglas Fir

Curious Chet, is that the SawStop over blade dust collector or 3rd party?

It is the SawStop guard that goes with their overarm collection but I just ran a flex hose up to a Y fitting in my main DC line that runs over head.  It was about $150 cheaper this way, plus my saw has the 36 inch fence and I felt the overarm setup by SawStop would get in the way of cutting the occasional sheet good.  I have been happy with it so far

Chet the shop looks great. Good job!

Lol at your list of things you still need, that will only get longer and longer as time goes on.

Yea, my wife laughs at me all the time because about 20 years back I made the comment that "well that is probably the last tool I will need".  In the last two years I have upgraded everything and added the bandsaw, router table and drum sander.  And this one is for you Shane, I have actually been thinking about putting the Kapex on the list, but I don't know $1500??? when I do most crosscuts on the table saw.

Yea, my wife laughs at me all the time because about 20 years back I made the comment that "well that is probably the last tool I will need".  In the last two years I have upgraded everything and added the bandsaw, router table and drum sander.  And this one is for you Shane, I have actually been thinking about putting the Kapex on the list, but I don't know $1500??? when I do most crosscuts on the table saw.

Go for it Chet! If you have the money, its totally worth it. Most of my crosscutting is done on the kapex. The UG extensions are fantastic. Set up a stop in seconds. I love the whole setup. I have yet to find a weakness in it or it lacking in anyway. Couldn't see you regretting it. You will forget about the 1500$.....eventually
  • Like 1

One of the things that really has me leaning toward it is the lasers.  I had them on my Porter Cable and really got used to having them.  They quit working last spring and the saw is to old to get most parts.  Even my son in law who works in tool repair can find anything out there.  The other thing that I like about the Kapex is the sliding feature that is close profile to the wall so it seems that the Kapex doesn't take up any more room then a standard miter saw.

One of the things that really has me leaning toward it is the lasers.  I had them on my Porter Cable and really got used to having them.  They quit working last spring and the saw is to old to get most parts.  Even my son in law who works in tool repair can find anything out there.  The other thing that I like about the Kapex is the sliding feature that is close profile to the wall so it seems that the Kapex doesn't take up any more room then a standard miter saw.

The forward rails was the clincher for me since I have to maximize space in my shop.  That's a great feature of the saw.  And it's certainly the most accurate hobbyist miter saw out there.  The lazers are handy but I don't rely on them for precision...just a rough guide for initial cuts.

I do find myself quite often wishing the Kapex had more power.  It is definitely lacking in that department.  It's actually designed for finish carpenters who do mostly trim and moldings, etc.  It's not that happy plowing through 8/4 bubinga, I can tell you that.  Using it as a furniture maker's saw is bordering on misuse, but it's still the best out there for furniture makers.  I do most of my smaller crosscuts with a sled on my TS, but for longer boards I do love having the Kapex.  $1500 is a big price tag for that one convenience.  But I got suckered into it.

Nick, you should start a new thread to introduce yourself and post your shop videos instead of hijacking Chet's.  We're happy to have you but you might go unnoticed deep in someone else's thread.  FYI.