Point me the right way ....

Lee Bussy

I received my L-N block plane yesterday.   It's pretty for sure, but the last time I used a plane was in High School shop.  So .. .what's first?  Do I sharpen the iron?  Do I figure out all the knobs and levers (I guess if you spend this much on a plane they figure you know what you are doing?)  I'm sort of learning this part by "correspondence course" so anything pointing me in the right direction to learn about/how to use this properly is appreciated.

Which plane? Rabbeting block has a wheel under the cap that tensions the cap. It has a wheel out the heel that advances the blade. Will have to check their site to see which plane has a lever. 

Ok, lever must mean you have an adjustable mouth. This is loosened and tightened by turning the knob. 

Edited by C Shaffer

Here's the LN video -- it's oriented to the large format block planes, but much of it is transferable:

I did a quick youtube search on block plane setup and got several hundred hits... I refined it to Lie-Nielsen Low Angle Block Plane Setup and still got several hundred hits... Like much of youtube, 90% will be junk -- but I bet there's a few videos that'll answer your questions...

• Like 1

Thanks for the vids - I watched those last night but ran out of time before my bedtime. :)

I have not cleaned the packing oil off yet - I will do that.  What about tallow for the sole?  I thought I read somewhere that this was good stuff?  I actually have a ton of it (okay maybe not a ton) because I make my own shave soaps.