Bats!

Just Bob

I was out in my shop this morning around 3:30 having my first cup of coffee.  I heard a noise and saw a bat flying around one my lights.  As I watched it, it flew above the rafters, and then crawled into a gap on the top edge  of my osb wall.  So now I have to figure out a way to get rid of the things.  Short of me ripping out that section of wall, does anybody have any ideas of how to get rid of my "bats in the belfry".

Bob - first of all, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets up at such an hour. Amazing what others miss between 4 and 6. 

I had a humminbird fly into my shop yesterday around 5 am. Sat on my bandsaw for 15 - 20 minutes before finding his way out.

As for the bats - I don't know what to do other than what others have tried. I'm going to build some bat houses to place around our property.

Make an amazing amount of saw dust in there so that they don't want to stay ;)

Bats are an amazing creature.  They fit in surprisingly tiny holes.  After you get it out, you'll have to seal up its entry spots while still allowing the building to breathe.

I had to research this when I had bats in my house.  

Bats gather in three different areas.  One is a place where they take a break during hunting to socialize and digest.  Usually under an eave or someplace like that.  The second is a communal nest where they sleep during the day and raise their young.  They leave the young to go out to hunt, so you don't want to seal it up until the young can fend for themselves (after September in North America).  The third is a cave that they use for winter hibernation.

First, build a bat house so that they have some place to go when you evict them.  They eat tons of mosquitoes and other flying insect pests, so you don't want to kill them or chase them away.

Then, after September, find all the places where they are entering and leaving their nest.  The bats relieve themselves before going indoors, so you want to look for dark stains.Cover the openings with loose netting that is open at the bottom.  That way, the bats can leave to hunt or got to their hibernation spots, but then can't get back in.  After a week or so you can be pretty sure that they have all left, and you can seal up the holes.

Here are some notes I used: evicting bats, more evicting bats, one-way doors/traps, more one-way doors/traps.

Let me know if you want my bat house design.  I think I have it in Sketchup.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the information.!

Bob - first of all, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets up at such an hour. Amazing what others miss between 4 and 6. 

I had a humminbird fly into my shop yesterday around 5 am. Sat on my bandsaw for 15 - 20 minutes before finding his way out.

As for the bats - I don't know what to do other than what others have tried. I'm going to build some bat houses to place around our property.

Micks, my family thinks I am nuts.  I normally get up at 2 whether I have to go to work or not.  It is my time, and now that I have a stand alone shop I can make noise and not irritate anybody. 

Bats gather in three different areas.  One is a place where they take a break during hunting to socialize and digest.  Usually under an eave or someplace like that.  The second is a communal nest where they sleep during the day and raise their young.  They leave the young to go out to hunt, so you don't want to seal it up until the young can fend for themselves (after September in North America).  The third is a cave that they use for winter hibernation.

First, build a bat house so that they have some place to go when you evict them.  They eat tons of mosquitoes and other flying insect pests, so you don't want to kill them or chase them away.

Then, after September, find all the places where they are entering and leaving their nest.  The bats relieve themselves before going indoors, so you want to look for dark stains.Cover the openings with loose netting that is open at the bottom.  That way, the bats can leave to hunt or got to their hibernation spots, but then can't get back in.  After a week or so you can be pretty sure that they have all left, and you can seal up the holes.

Here are some notes I used: evicting bats, more evicting bats, one-way doors/traps, more one-way doors/traps.

This is outstanding information.   Thank you.  I have built bat houses before, but I would really like to see yours.  Some of mine worked, some didn't.  As far as sealing the shop that was on the schedule for the fall anyway, I will just have to wait a little longer.  I put the shop build on hold for a nest of robins, but they were not messing with my insulation...

I couldn't agree more.

This is very good strategy, and it's also beneficial for the bats. Give them a new place to live...don't drive them away.

Bats are good! You're fortunate to have them. They're under a great amount of stress because of "white nose fungus". Try to keep them around if at all possible. They will help with nuisance insects and they are "Cool" creatures.

Here's the info I used for my design.  I'll try to post you my design when I get home.

Unfortunately, I can't find my design.  I just took the info I found on the web and adapted it to the materials I had on hand.  For example, I had a scrap of rigid insulation so I used that at the top.  I also had some aluminum roof flashing, so I used that for the roof.  I used plywood, because that's what I had.  Rough sawn cedar would be better, but there are lots of alternatives that will work.  I just used butt joints, glue and screw construction.  I used spacer blocks rather than dadoes between the dividers for easy construction.  The only "wood-worky" touches were the angled cuts for the roof.

I think the most important details were making a very tall bat house with ventilation openings so that the bats can find a spot that provides the right temperature and air flow.  And also sealing it very well, especially around the top, to trap a pocket or warm air.  And using only water based paints, stain, caulk, etc.  Lot's of outdoor paint on the outside, because once I've mounted this thing high off the ground, I'm not going to paint it ever again.  Dark stain on the inside, so the bats have a nice dark place to sleep during the day.  Open bottom, so I don't have to clean it out.

That's about it

for years my brother had a bat that lived under one of his shutters over a porch window.  he named the thing Cliff.  He swears that Cliff has been in the house before and to get him out, he opened the front door and said Cliff, you know you are not allowed in the house.

not sure what my brother was drinking, but name the thing and tell him he is not allowed in the walls.

I can rent you my cat.  He is strictly an indoor cat but on his resume is a bird, mouse, chipmunk and a bat.  His name is Jake but we call him Killer.  He will slash anything except the bulldog - tonnage still rules. 

The electronic noise makers work.  I have a large one in the detached garage that you can set at the higher setting for bats and other large rodents.  You just hear a clicking sound.  Seems to work because i have never noticed any rodents or bats in the garage.