Marc's G&G Frame; My Take

TexWood

The pictures show my take on Marc’s G&G frame; one in mahogany and one in maple. My take being that I stopped the sides at the top rail instead of extending past it with a half lap joint. This was made from Marc’s templates and watching the Guild podcast a half dozen times.

All the joints we’re made using dominoes. The domino joint between the sides and top rail were made when the bottom of the top rail was still square. I cut the domino mortise deeper on the top rail, and then routed the gentle curve. Once that was done, I marked the curve on the side piece and used the osculating spindle sander and a light touch to make it. Each side piece it took a couple of tries to get a good joint between the top rail and side, but when your only removing a 1/32” or so, it did not make a difference in the overall length or relationship of the side pieces.

This was a lot of fun and my first attempt at a curved joint. The one in mahogany is for me and the one in maple will be a Christmas gift.

Thanks,

Kyle (AKA, TexWood)

post-33-0-39294800-1291308614_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-95020200-1291308626_thumb.jpg

I'll try and post a couple this weekend.

And thanks to everyone for your great comments.

Here are a couple of close ups of the curved joint between the sides and the top rail. This is gentle curve so it may look almost straight, but trust me its not.

post-33-0-82275900-1291510242_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-83691400-1291510252_thumb.jpg