mystery wood from Eric

phinds

Eric sent me a piece of wood hoping I would be able to ID it. When I got it looked like sapele as soon as I saw it but Eric was pretty sure that's not what it is and after looking at a bunch of my sapele samples I could definitely see why he would say that. I have only one sample that has the same dark chocolate color of this piece but it DOES have that color and the face grain is the same.

I did my end grain thing and compared it to all of the stuff I have in the Mahogany family, since it pretty clearly belongs in there somewhere. It's a close, but not perfect match for sapele. The things that are different are (1) the parenchyma bands are considerably more fuzzy and vague throughout than is normally the case for sapele and (2) there are fewer pore multiples than I'm used to seeing in sapele. The similarities are greater than the differences but differences bother me. I can only conclude that what we're dealing with is the fact that wood is pretty variable and sometimes defies our expectations. It's a very close match to sapele and I can't find anything else that even comes close.

Here's a closeup of sapele on the left and Eric's wood on the right, both in areas where there are few parenchyma lines, and then another pair where there are numerous parenchyma lines

large.sapele_and_mystery.jpg.76f4c0487d3

• Like 1

how does it compare to utile/sipo? 

No chance. I looked at everything I have in the mahogany family including sipo, sapele, African mahogany, America mahogany, Spanish cedar, etc.

You can see them all on my mahogany anatomy page

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_anatomy/diffuse porous/mahogany/_mahogany.htm

Edited by phinds

Thanks for doing the leg work on this, Paul.  I think you've pretty much confirmed my suspicions.  We'll call it chocolate sapele:)

I wish I could get more of it...it was quite striking.  But it is gone.  All gone.

THAT's what it is ... chocolate sapele.  Good name :smile: