Finally added a drill press

Pwk5017

a drill press has always been a tool that's near the bottom of my wish list, but I recognize its an important tool to have. I really wanted a powermatic variable speed drill press, but they always seem to go for $500+ and that's way too much for drilling a couple holes a year. This delta Rockwell came up in one of my morning searches, and I figured it would do the trick for $100. Unfortunately, the variable speed function is broken, which is a real bummer. If that feature were functional, this would have been a screaming deal for a Benjamin. Even still, seems like it will get the job done until I sell it for more, and buy something that doesn't have so much metal work grime on it. 

This is my first time owning and using a drill press. Anything I should look into doing right away with this model? I know people will probably tell me to check the bearings, but I wouldn't even know where they are located on this machine. I also wouldn't know how involved that process is. It wasn't dreadful on the handful of unisaws I just did. Also, is it worthwhile to look into fixing the variable speed function? I have no clue how expensive that would be, or if it's even possible on a drill press of this vintage. I think this model was produced in the early 60s. 1/2hp motor, 15" throat distance, and 5"+\- of quil travel. I quickly chucked  up a twist bit I had laying around and drilled a hole with it. 15/64" bit and 15/64" hole measured with calipers. Seems to be functioning a ok. Someone might need to explain to me the depth stop feature and how to use the micoadjust on it. Not sure if that was something delta reinvented often or not. 

Patrick

Pics didnt upload. It is sad how many tools and other crap I have moved in my hatchback. Also, helpful to have a hydraulic cart laying around. I have used that thing more than I thought I ever would.

IMG_1161.JPG

uploader is getting real cranky with file size tonight.

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

Nice find! Be sure to clean all the metalworking remains off if it, or you'll be swearing every time you boards come up oil stained and full of steel splinters. The variable speed function is likely to be a set if adjustable-width V-pulleys. Perhaps one is only siezed onto the shaft, and may be repairable, without even finding new parts.

Great find! That press is a beast!

You should definitely go register and post your press on owwm.org Its a forum for old wood working machines. There will be a bunch of people on there who are very familiar with that machine. They will also be able to show you were you can find the manual and give you quite a bit of help in removing bearings and getting the variable speed function working again. I would bet good money that its relatively easy to repair (unless its missing a bunch of parts under the hood). 

Good luck!!

Yes, I registered at that site, but I'm awaiting approval. I would really like to fix the variable speed if feasible. I briefly looked in the drill press head, and it is not what I expected. I only see two large pulleys, not the stepped pulleys that you would expect on a drill press. Not sure how it achieves multiple speeds, but it's not through changing belts onto different diameter pulleys. 

I did did clean as much as I could, but I think I'm going to wave the white flag and build a simple mdf table with a fence. That will take care of future headaches with grime. 

that should be a great drill press.  I dont' know why this didn't come up as a link.  copy and paste it.  The Reeves pulley's probably just need cleaning and lubricating.

www.master-pt.com/images/pdf/PULLEY_MPT.pdf

post number 20 is a good start in this thread:  http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ditching-my-reeves-drive-249582/

Edited by Tom King
  • Like 1

The MDF table isn't a bad idea. I bought  my DPfrom a metal worker and it took 6 months of regular use to stop finding  little metal shavings in my nice wood even after multiple good cleanings and giving it the 1-2 with a strong magnet 

Edited by Brendon_t