An argument ensued ...

collinb

Determining the cause of the injury important, and if it a failure in the tool then it should not be used again if it can not be used safely.

There were/are no problems with the power tool.

Still, unless the bit flies out at me or breaks or something else abnormal, the fault lies with my mental capacities.

Your band-Aid sir looked like a homemade one we all use from time to time...No offense.

None taken.  Just being curious.

I always add a complete wrap of cloth tape around a bandaid or gauze to keep it from falling off during the day in the shop.

i hope you heal well and learn some caution and respect for the machine.

If you'll make that "learned" yes.  It's not a major issue.  But it certainly got my attention.  Hence ...

I suspect most people respect the power of their equipment, but perhaps not sufficiently.  Once one feels the power personally then the respect is raised to the level it deserves.

• Like 1

Glad you're okay. I had a couple of close calls recently. I've gotten to the point I now take an extra few seconds to mentally list my options for a particular process then ask which one is safest. Especially for cutting small parts. It used to be "quickest" but as I've gotten older I've learned the value of "slow and steady wins the race." Except during tool sales, of course. 

Glad you made it out ok. I hope the machine was winding down, or at least turned off when you made contact. Having my finger off of the trigger was the only thing that saved my palm when I dropped a still very spinning bit into it a few years ago. I've switched every router I can to a trigger operated one since. I wish they had motor breaks.

Triggers are a good idea for that reason.  Also, when using a hand held router I always clamp down my work.  I don't trust those non-skid pads and even if the stock seems heavy enough to stay stable on its own, I still clamp it.  I see a lot of people routing with one hand and holding stock with the other (especially with those small palm routers) and I think that is a recipe for disaster.  

I also have a trigger-in-the-handle router.  Its an incredible feature!

Routers are dangerous, like all wood working tools.  I try to be doubly careful with routers, as the hospital cannot reattach hamburger if something should go terribly wrong.

Glad you were not seriously hurt.

• Like 1

Nothing about a router should be trusted!

agreed. Out of all the tools in the shop, I respect/fear the hand held router the most. 

I had making a final cleanup pass on a 1" deep mortise in 8/4 red oak.  The bit caught,  threw the router with my 200lbs body attached about 10" to the side, out the mortise wall and into the plastic work surface.