Workshop

Andy Wright

Three years ago, we moved to a ranch on 29 acres that I bought from the bank after a foreclosure. As with most foreclosure properties, it needed a lot of work so I ended up taking a break from woodworking for a couple of years while we remodeled the house, rebuilt fences, etc. At the beginning of this year I decided to set my sights on setting up a proper workshop, so I started working on converting a barn on the property into a new home for my toold

Coming from a two car garage, this 40'x24' dedicated shop is very luxurious. It is drafty and has a few leaks in the roof, but it feels like home.

shop 1.jpg

shop 3.jpg

shop 2.jpg

Welcome to the forum........ That's a hell of a nice shop!  Where in Texas, we have a bunch of members in Texas!   I'm a tad jealous about the shop, mine is 9' x 12' And like gravity, it sucks!  But I can do most anything that needs doing.  You'll enjoy the folks here!

• Like 1

Andy, it looks like a great space. I'm assuming the metal visible is the back face of metal wall panels. It the climate good enough to work out there year round? Besides you jacket, do you need to heat and/or cool the space? If so, do the walls sweat?

I hope they stay nice and dry for you.

Thank you for all of the comments. I will try to answer a few of the questions asked in the thread

1) I live in Caddo Mills, Texas (east of Dallas)

2) The shop is very simple construction - 2x4 studs with galvanized panels on the outside. It has five windows, two 10x16ft roll-up garage doors, and a walk through door, but no insulation. I do have some humidity issues (rust), but it is not too bad.

3) As far as working in the summer, it is hot but not unbearable - the shop is shaded by a few big oak trees and I have two high volume fans to keep the air moving. I worked on a few 100+ degree days this summer and survived to tell the story. For heat, I am planning to put in a propane heater this fall. It does get cold here, but rarely is it sub freezing so I don't need the type of heating system that people do in the northern states (If given the choice I would install AC instead of heat)

4) my first furniture project in the new shop is a coffee table out of reclaimed oak. I just finished it over the weekend and will post some pics soon