Just one more coat....

rodger.

Do you suffer from this affliction as well?

No matter what finish I use, I always seem to want to apply one more coat.

When spraying waterborne with the HVLP, I always think three will do, but I normally just have to spray that extra coat.

When applying wipe on poly, I always go a few coats extra.  On my last tabletop, I had 7 coats, and the base had 5.

Any cure for this disease?!?

==>waterborne with the HVLP, I always think three will do, but I normally just have to spray that extra coat.

Got to be very careful with final coating thickness -- 4mil is about the limit... Any more and you risk cracking - maybe not day one, maybe not year one, but crack it will...

Most high-solid coatings formulated for spray application recommend two coats...

==Any cure for this disease?!?

Yea, when you see a finish crack three years after giving the piece to your parents for their 25th anniversary... That'll do it...

• Like 2

I always think that one more coat will make the finish look better - it looks like I will need to change my evil ways.  From now on, I will attempt 2 coats of wb poly, and will not apply more than 3.  Thanks hhh.

There are so many variables it is hard to comment.  Solids content of the finish... how heavy you spray... how much sanding you do between coats (or after).  I agree the best advice is don't try to chase perfection off the gun...  especially if you are like me and using a small HVLP (5500) and no spray booth.   Generally speaking I lay down two good coats, lightly sanding in between, wait a week or two and rub out the finish as best I can.  

I always think that one more coat will make the finish look better - it looks like I will need to change my evil ways.  From now on, I will attempt 2 coats of wb poly, and will not apply more than 3.

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou sand, then shalt thou coat to three, no more, no less.  Three shall be the number thou shalt coat, and the number of the coating shall be three.  Four shalt tho not count, neither coat thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.  Once the number three, being the third coat, be reached, then displayest thou thy Holy Wood Project of Pug towards thy forum, who being naughty in My sight, shall admire it."