rodger.

Where so you spray?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you apply spray finish?

• In the garage
    • In the basement
    • Outdoors
    • I dont spray finish
    • Somewhere else (please specify in thread)

I spray outdoors, but I hate having to wait for calm day/dry day when I need something done.  Just wondering what everyone else does for spraying.  I have the space and desire to build a dedicated spray area in my basement, but need more research before deciding to build something (H20 finish only).

So lets hear what the community does!

48" warehouse fan in a homemade wooden box. Hardware cloth on both sides. 1/2 hp reversible motor, 24" pulley on the fan. It was made to go in the wall of a big warehouse. Must be 30+ years old. Gets lubed with the grease gun twice a year.

if I shut the garage door on top of it and block the remaining space w a sheet of ply, then open the front door it creates a nice breeze

I spray a lot of lacquer in the shop .I  try to always do allot of finish at the same time for work and I have a hole house fan in the wall of the shop...With the oil furnace and the wood furnace in the winter never mind my fan isn't enclosed its a wonder I'm here..:)....I wish I had the time to do things different..

Look at McMaster Carr or some commercial building supplier for a fan then take it from there !

When the original motor died after 20 years I used a 1/2 HP Dayton motor off of a dead drill press that I had added a drum type FWD-REV switch to.

Fan blows into the shop all summer and the hot air exits at the top of the open garage door. When spraying I reverse the fan and open the front door to exhaust the fumes and overspray.

i put the box on locking casters to keep it from falling off the loading dock.

Do you find the furnace filter catches all of the overspray?

I don't get dry overspray on my projects and the filters actually catch a lot of the wet overspray. Before I had this setup there would be a cloud floating above my spray area. I'm sure it's not the best setup but so far it's doing the trick for my hobby projects. It stores nicely too. 

RLzKELuLYvcBTMFidTqW_M6lhbK1geAcD09PHgCA

I spray waterborne lacquer in the shop. Everything gets covered with plastic. Years ago, when i was much younger and not as wise, i sprayed solvent lacquer in the shop. I at least had the sense to spray near the garage door with it wide open.

I never used a waterborne lacquer and  what I like about the solvent lacquer is it  drys in no time so not much dust gets in my finish and also I can sand between coats quickly to keep the work flow going also the over spray drys so fast that I don't need to cover my tools up and its only 23 dalliers a galon....What I don't like it it is not nice to inhale  and the stuff and it is a bit dangerous...May I ask sir what would be the advantage to a waterborne lacquer ?

I never used a waterborne lacquer and  what I like about the solvent lacquer is it  drys in no time so not much dust gets in my finish and also I can sand between coats quickly to keep the work flow going also the over spray drys so fast that I don't need to cover my tools up and its only 23 dalliers a galon....What I don't like it it is not nice to inhale  and the stuff and it is a bit dangerous...May I ask sir what would be the advantage to a waterborne lacquer ?

The advantage is spraying it won't kill you.   Waterbournes don't dry as fast as solvents but do dry faster than oil.  

Well i am far from being a finishing expert. For me, i switched mostly for safety reasons. I dont have a spray booth with explosion proof exhaust and i am spraying indoors. So the logical thing was to not shoot solvent laquer in those conditions. I also like that i dont have to buy and mix laquer thinner anymore and clean up is also easier. Like I said, im no expert this is just my experience. I also do think that eventually, due to gov't regulations, there will be no more solvent based stuff and we will all be using waterbourne.
  • Like 1

.Myself and every cabinet maker I no spray pre-cat laquer{ no mixing} and we spray with a airless sprayer with a fine finish tip..When I just spray laquer with it and it doesn't sit for more that 8 weeks I don't even need to clean anything but the spray tip...A airless  sprayer takes some getting use to but you can get alto of work done with it .I agree that the darn gov,t will eventually stick there nose in it and that stinks ..I also think I would half to do something big to blow the place up..Also I would half to charge the customer alto more if I did things different...I respect your opion Shaneymack..