clearance for table saw

andrew-in-austin

Depends on your work flow ultimately..  Just a rule of thumb, if you're running sheet goods thru then, you'd need 2' to rip them in half.

This also cuts down on your ability to use a sled for anything longer than that.

Edited by TIODS

I should have 2 feet left of the blade no problem.  I am just trying to think of anything else that might require more clearance.  Generally, I would crosscut really long boards with RAS or chop saw, so I probably don't need to worry about that.  I just fear I am forgetting something.  I suppose cutting a 4 x 8 sheet the other direction could require a lot more clearance, but I do have at track saw for things like that.  I'd just hate to set this up then realize I have to re-do the layout.

Suggest setting it up and test driving it for a while to see how it works for you.  I'm preparing to upgrade my dust collection so, am trying several different things in my shop to see what works best.  I did a major change about a week ago and just did another tonight.  Trial and error is the best way to figure out what works best in your shop.

• Like 1

Good Idea, on the test drive.  I am also setting up dust collection.

Beechwood, I was planning on a walkway to the right of the saw only.  There will not be enough clearance between the saw and the wall to walk on the left side.  Maybe I need to rethink that.

Edited by andrew-in-austin
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind my rails bring up against the wall to the right, but I couldn't close in the left of the saw. I make tennons  with the t's, mitre gauge and dado stack,  I need room to the left for overhang.  I think at a minimum, I would be ok with 5' from the blade to the left, but like kev said, that's my workflow, not necessarily yours.