Rubbing out time! Wax finish vs Wax polish?

dausone

Hey everyone,

Comes the time to apply some wax and I have been left a bit perplexed. My wax finish is more in line with a traditional Sam Maloof recipe sans tung, 80% linseed/ 20% wax. I am applying it similarly, after my top coat is dry, burnishing with 0000 steel wool, a good heated rub onto the surface, coming back the next day with a dry cotton rag. The results seem great, surface is slick with a soft sheen. But I am wondering what the difference would be by using a non-drying oil, such as mineral oil + wax instead of the drying oil? It seems that the latter process is in line with most articles online for rubbing out. Maybe the Sam Maloof method does something here that I am not able to comprehend, or the other way around, that the non-drying oil method is doing something that I am not able to comprehend. Seems like both provide adequate results, SM finish is a basic finish whereas the wax / non-drying oil is more of a polish? Thoughts here?

I don't see the point in putting an oil over a dried top coat, unless it is just a carrier for the wax.   Wax starts off as a solid and is usually mixed with oil and or mineral spirts to make a paste or liquid.  If you are starting with solid wax then I think any oil will do.  If you are starting with paste wax then I don't think you need to add any more oil.  

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the responses guys. That was my first thought too wtnhighlander, which would give me more of a reason to use a drying oil. But in echoing what Mike mentioned that usually the oil is added as a carrier for the wax (and also added to make burnishing easier), that would be a pretty expensive carrier compared to a mineral oil for the sake of a non greasy surface. I can't see any other benefits here.

Which brings me to the Sam Malloof oil/wax finish. There must be something I am not understanding about why he used this mixture over his oil/varnish blend? Is it still bonding slightly with the last coat of oil/varnish possibly? Is there some mysterious pore filling going on here (I can imagine the wax/oils setting up in the pores and curing)? Or is it simply a very expensive carrier for the wax polishing? My guess would be that there is a combination of things happening all at once, some slight pore filling, polishing and bonding/curing. But am still confused. Haha.

Allow myself to follow up to myself.. I got a confirmation on whats happening with a wax/ oil finish over an existing oil/ varnish. Basically the wax/ oil coat acts a final buffing agent and light pore filler making the surface extra silky. But questions all around as to the pluses and minuses of using wax on top of any finish as it makes refinishing a bit more complicated. I might just try omitting the wax altogether and adding some silica (pumice) to the oil and see what happens.