Simple Blanket Ladder

rodger.

My wife has really gotten into photography in the last few years, and has set up a small studio in our home.  She has loads of gear, and loads of props (see does numerous newborn photo shoots).  She probably has 14 or 15 blankets/throws for the babies, so she asked me to make her some "blanket ladders" for her collection of blankets.  She wants them organized, but close at hand.

After combing the internet, she decided she wanted something like this, well two somethings actually (she needs two ladders).

inspiration.thumb.jpg.39514ad5cb1e75456a

Should be a pretty simple task, and she requested that they be made of cherry.  I did a quick sketch up for dimensions, and to get the proportions right.  In the sketch up diagram, I have the ladder leaning at 12 degrees, so I will cut the feet of the ladder (and corresponding top sections) so it sits flat on the floor/wall.  I don't want to commit to a particular measurement right now, so ill do some test cuts as the project progresses to get a feel for what makes sense and looks right.

blanket_ladder_sketch_up.thumb.jpg.c5a3d

So tomorrow I will head to the lumberyard to get some 4/4 cherry and give the new jointer its first real project.  This build should be quite simple and straight forward, but its what is desired by the wife.

Joinery will be dominoes , as I want to avoid exposed fasteners.

The first rung of the ladder is spaced farther than the others so that it will be useful.  Spacing is 16,12,12,12.  This leaves 3 inches or so at the top.

Edited by franklin pug