Best $15 Spent this Week

Trip

Everyone knows that boiling-hot water will raise dents, right? Countless videos on YouTube, if you need a refresher... I’ve grown too lazy to go to the kitchen, heat some water, put it in a cup, yada-yada... Especially because you frequently need to repeat the process two or three times for a deep ding... So I found a quick/dirty solution for the shop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWOJS9A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This thing boils water in under a minute – fast fast fast... I pour the water in a wide-mouth 16oz mixing cup and use a glue syringe:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EMEXNI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

One small recommendation – use distilled water...

Second small suggestion: fill the syringe with the hot water, then empty it and refill – initial fill heats the syringe...

Best $15 spent this week...

Hey Trip the way I have been doing it also cost me about $15 but it was for a steam iron. In fact this was the first way I heard of fixing dents about 20 years ago.  You place a fairly damp terry towel over the dent and then place the iron on top of that for about 15 - 20 second.  I set the iron to high or the linen setting

• Like 1

Hey Trip the way I have been doing it also cost me about $15 but it was for a steam iron. In fact this was the first way I heard of fixing dents about 20 years ago.  You place a fairly damp terry towel over the dent and then place the iron on top of that for about 15 - 20 second.  I set the iron to high or the linen setting

That's how I do it too. Wet cloth and an iron.

• Like 1

==>Yeti coozie

Didn't know about those -- looks good... Actually, the best $15 spent last week was a cup holder for the lawnmower :)

==>steam iron

Tend to use the steam iron method on finished pieces -- a bit more control... While the piece is still in the shop, I use the boiling water method -- it seems to work better on the type of dents I manage to impart... I've tried the water/alcohol/fire method, but it doesn't seem to work well for me... For the really deep dents, I use the soldering iron & water method. When I need to limit collateral damage, I use PEG.

Edited by hhh

And if you use veneer edging, you've solved two items in one go.

I love the "frequently bought together"  My wife is Korean so I get the tea kettle and rice cooker.  You might not see a toaster and coffee maker in an asian kitchen but you will definitely see a rice cooker and tea kettle.  Not so sure about the dirt devil.... I'd like to say we vacuum more than most people but I don't think so.  

steamer.thumb.JPG.27a1c4afb78d6bc2a7f75b

I love the "frequently bought together"  My wife is Korean so I get the tea kettle and rice cooker.  You might not see a toaster and coffee maker in an asian kitchen but you will definitely see a rice cooker and tea kettle.  Not so sure about the dirt devil.... I'd like to say we vacuum more than most people but I don't think so.  

steamer.thumb.JPG.27a1c4afb78d6bc2a7f75b

I'm not a gadgety kind of guy, but in my kitchen a rice cooker is almost essential.