Ideas for Dust Collection

wnaziri

I am in the process of thinking through tools that will be in my workshop.  One part of my workshop that I will take very seriously is dust collection.  Earlier this year, I had a chance to buy a very nice Coral DC machine.  It is 3 Phase, 4 HP machine that has 2850 CFM power with 10" inlet.  I am hoping that is powerful enough to serve my whole workshop.  By the way, I paid $350 for the machine and thought it was a good value.  The fist thing I did was to chuck the cloth filters and plan to replace with Wynn Env filters.

I also plan to convert to 2 stage system.  I would like get input from members on the best way to accomplish this.  I have looked at the Oneida Dust Deputy XL as one possible solution.  Thanks in advance for any and all input.

IMG_2276.thumb.jpg.fd5b54106189c46cfc5f2 

I have upgraded my own dust collector with a Wynn filter and Super Dust Deputy. They both perform wonderfully. Dick Wynn was very helpful in telling me how to setup his filter. While I've heard many complaints about the cost of the Super Dust Deputy, I have been blown away by its performance. I highly recommend both.

Also, at $350, it seems like a steal.

IMG_20141129_130542

Edited by Dyami Plotke

One option would be to exhaust outside. This would give you the cleanest air possible in the shop and you don't ever have to deal with filter cleaning/changing. Thats how im setup. The other benefit is the money you save on not buying filters can be put towards tools!

Exhausting outside is a great method, unless you condition the air in your shop. In that case it will take the heated or cooled air and blow it outside. That loss of conditioned air is why I went with a filter.

Exhausting outside is a great method, unless you condition the air in your shop. In that case it will take the heated or cooled air and blow it outside. That loss of conditioned air is why I went with a filter.

Good point Dyami. I wont be running my machine for long periods of time when its -30 outside. It is a hobby shop so i dont really ever run my dc for longer than a few minutes at a time. For me the benefits of the cleaner air and not having to waste time messing with filters outweighed a slight temp change in the winter.
  • Like 1

If you have any combustion in your shop (heaters, etc), then you need to be careful about venting outside.  The negative pressure can suck fresh air down the chimney and pull the combustion gases into the shop.

A return air needs to be added big enough to make sure this doesnt happen. I will be adding a return air before I start heating. I heat the house with wood and was concerned about this very thing. Great point Chip.
  • Like 1

If you have any combustion in your shop (heaters, etc), then you need to be careful about venting outside.  The negative pressure can suck fresh air down the chimney and pull the combustion gases into the shop.

I am going to switch to a direct vent set up soon.  I do have a natural gas garage heater.  I think my garage doors are drafty enough to allow enough make up air.   Most garages are not sealed very tight.   

I don't think I've ever seen a design quite like what I think I'm seeing. Is that a floor sweep underneath the intake with a shutoff in between? If so, that's pretty cool!

After I read your post, I went to my storage unit and examined the unit.  

You are 100% correct.  The side of the unit is In Fact a floor sweep.  It is pretty ingenious.

• Like 1

Do you have 3 phase power where your shop will be located?

I will have 3 Phase power by way of rotary phase converter.  

My plan calls for 20 HP unit which should be sufficient for my tools.  I will only need enough to run 2 power tools at once: DC and whatever.  The biggest motor I have on any one tool is 7.5 HP.  When talking the phase converter company, we planned on 12.5 HP max at any one time, thus  the recommendation of 20 HP. 

One option would be to exhaust outside. This would give you the cleanest air possible in the shop and you don't ever have to deal with filter cleaning/changing. Thats how im setup. The other benefit is the money you save on not buying filters can be put towards tools!

and heating!  ;)