Vise question

prov163

Wasn't sure if this belonged here, or in the hand tools or shop forum, but here goes:  I bought an Eclipse 10" vise.  It's waaayyy overkill for my present abilities, but I figure it'll help me now and push me to try more hand tool work.  I am working on installing it on my bench, which is 2x6 construction, and nailed to the wall so it's not moving (hope to build a more proper bench this winter).  Anyway, I need to make the wooden jaw (liners?).  I've got some maple, some purple heart, some poplar.  Figure the maple is the best option?  Do you make them a little larger than the metal jaws?  Thickness?  I appreciate your advice.

If you make them wider than the jaws use 5/4 or 8/4. Maple is a good choice. If you make them a lot wider use the 8/4  (I did mine about 12 to14" wide)

If you clamp something off centered you need to make a stack of 1/4 MDF strips and run a bolt thru one end. Then you can swing out a number of strips until they roughly match the thickness of the part being clamped and put it in the other side of the vise. This keeps the jaws from racking and you can clamp the piece securely.

• Like 2

I would definitely use the maple.You will want something hard. If your maple is not thick enough to do as wdwerker suggests you can always laminate 2 or more pieces together. Its a vice so that kind of thing wouldn't matter. Over time these jaws will get a bit chewed up. And that will happen quicker using poplar. Good luck!

I don't think the wood matters, though I think purple heart could be better used elsewhere.  The polar is cheapest, so I'd use that. The leather is a great idea, and a little wood above the top of the jaws could save a plane blade down the road.  Come winter, consider Marc's Roubo bench on the guild site.